Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I don't know how working moms do it!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 48 Replies

I was a SAHM for 5 yrs. I just recently went back to work (1 month ago) and its so hard adjusting to it. I work fulltime, 9-7, four days a week at a bank (I was an asst. manager of a bank before I had my boys). My boys are in kindergarten now and DH said he was fine with me staying at home, but once the boys went to school full time, I needed to start working. Which I understand. The older they get the more $$$ they cost lol. I think we are starting to fall into a routine, but sometimes its hard on me because those 4 days I don't get any time with the boys. They have to be at school at 8am and get out at 230. I get home about 730 and then they go to bed at 8. I've tried pushing their bedtime back to 830, but they need that extra 30 minutes for sure.

So my hat goes off to all working moms!! Please, tell me how you do it without going crazy! lol

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I've always thought quality of time was more important than quantity. The nights you get home late, insead of trying to cram in so much time with them, just enjoy the time you have. Make bedtime mommy/DS time where you read to them, find out about their days, plan the weekends without DH (unless the boys want him there too).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

hmm that is strange i thought banks closed at five

pasteeater
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I've almost always been a sahm, and I am in awe of how working moms do everything I have to do, and still work too.  Good luck to you!

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM
In my area the big ones close at 6. So I guess 7 would make sense since everything has to be balanced and closed out

Quoting silverdawn99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Ours closes inside at 5, but the drive thru is open until 7.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I work 7-7 3 days a week. It's tough, but we make it work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Maybe you should look for a job with better hours for a mom.  I work part time (but with filling in and subbing here and there it ends up being 3/4 time) and I drop my kids off at school around 8, pick them up around 3.  

I see some kids that get dropped off at school for extended care at 6:30am and are not picked up until 6pm, and a couple of kids that is by a nanny.  The kids only see their parents on the weekends.  Its pretty sad and I have noticed they are the most needy kids.  It makes me sad.  =(

CrazyBeautiful.
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thats what I try and do. I walk in and they run to me and I ask them about their day and such, then we start getting ready for bed, I read to them and by that time its 8. :-/ DH works on Saturdays normally, so we do get extra time together. I only work 1 saturday a month and atleast once a month I get a 4 day weekend. So that is nice. I try and get DH to feed them and do homework, but he is slacking (shame on him lol). I told him I can't work, come home, make supper, do homework, give baths, put them to bed and clean the house. I can't do it all by myself. So he has to get used to me working and him actually doing things lol. He tried to yell at me about their homework because it wasn't done yet. I just said look, I can't do it all alone. I need you to help me. I need you to do a few things, homework included. He apologized. I think he realized he was being an ass. Thank you :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I've always thought quality of time was more important than quantity. The nights you get home late, insead of trying to cram in so much time with them, just enjoy the time you have. Make bedtime mommy/DS time where you read to them, find out about their days, plan the weekends without DH (unless the boys want him there too).

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm new to the SAHM Mom World I have been working since my DD was 2 months old. You'll find a routine and a way to organize your time.

And if you can pay a housekeeper, even if its just bi monthly do it. It will free you up on days off and weekends
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Quoting silverdawn99:

At my credit union it is open until 7pm on thursdays and fridays.  There are also banks in the grocery stores around here and they too are open longer.  We live in a small town and no banks close at 5 during the week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)