Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Most people know where they stand on the issue of abortion, but just spend a day looking around CM. Watch as mothers are attacked over and over again for their choices. Today it seems to be the great SAHM Vs. working mom debate, but there are others as well.

So, do you believe in a woman's right to choose whether or not she will work/stay home? What about her right to choose whether or not she will circumcise her son? What if she doesn't want to vaccinate her children? What if she does want to? What if a mother decides to forward face her 1 year old or bottle feed her baby? Do you still believe in her choice? Why can't we support each other? Why is it that many women seem to believe that there is only ONE way to parent? Every baby is different. Every family is different. So why do we act as though every parenting style must be the same? 

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (41-50):
nicole6870
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Me personally I don't care. As long as you're child is safe and loved and you're doing the best you can it's your business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyLuv0688
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM

So well put. Good on you!!!!!! So many people claim they are pro choice but as soon as a mom doesn't do what they like, then they turn on them! Usually people's pro-choice viewpoint only goes so far. 

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

The two are really not comparable. In one scenario, we are talking about choices for an individuals personal health and wellness. We are talking about the RIGHT to make those choices remaining legal.

In the other, we are talking about choices which have nothing to do with my own personal reproductive rights, or health and wellness, and everything to do with the health and well being of a child. We are not discussing the right of parents to make those choices, we are talking about whether or not those choices are GOOD choices.

grey7399
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Nicole.  If that happens to a mom, then every dime she and the father can scrape together needs to go towards an abortion or adopting out the baby.

They have an obligation to society to be more than a drain.  If the abortion or adoption is going to break their hearts, its their burden to bear for failing to hold up their end of the deal in this world.  To be a successful part of society.  This does not mean brain surgeon.  You can be a successful member of society and be the pizza delivery guy.  You just can't own 3 x-boxes, get satellite tv, have a huge cellphone plan and 5 kids with 4 different women.

Quoting nicole6870:

I have a question. Though I mostly agree I have seen too much to know every situation is not all black and white. So my question is: What if mom still has young kids at home, only 1 car between the 2, health problems and or just simply that working wouldn't pay enough for daycare cost? Oh and they get preggo on bc so they were trying to prevent it. What then? Are they still a bad mom/person if they get PA?

Quoting grey7399:

I don't get the SAHM vs. Working Mom thing.

I DON'T agree with moms who stay home and live on welfare.

I DON'T agree with moms who have kids and then never do jackshit with their kids.  You can work 80hrs a week but your kids need you - thats what I mean.  Some dads are like that too and I don't agree with them.

And yes,  I really am pro-choice.  In everything except moms on welfare having more babies.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM
EXACTLY. You hit the nail on the head right there.

The only debate I usually voice my opinion on is the RF vs FF issue. Because FFing too young DOES put the child in danger. Just like putting a kid in a booster too soon does the same.

Vaccinations, circumcisions, redshirting, etc...Do whatever. If you ask my opinion I will give it, but I won't get engaged in drama over it. But when you knowingly put your child at risk, I will debate the subject to the ends of the earth.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

as long as that baby isn't being put in danger than I don't care. Its not my kid and not my place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Oh, forgot one thing. The SAHM vs working mom debate. I think a mother absolutely has the right to stay home with her child. IF it's not detrimental to the family. If rent/bills are not being paid or they have to be on welfare, then it's time to suck it up and go to work. I get not wanting to miss time with your kids, but putting yourself in debt or living off the government is just going to kick you in the ass later on in life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM
The argument could be made that abortion has everything to do with a child's welfare.

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

The two are really not comparable. In one scenario, we are talking about choices for an individuals personal health and wellness. We are talking about the RIGHT to make those choices remaining legal.

In the other, we are talking about choices which have nothing to do with my own personal reproductive rights, or health and wellness, and everything to do with the health and well being of a child. We are not discussing the right of parents to make those choices, we are talking about whether or not those choices are GOOD choices.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ayla-bellesmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

The argument would be wrong, legally, medically and anatomically.

And on the other hand, there is no debating that a  child is a child.

Quoting motherslove82:

The argument could be made that abortion has everything to do with a child's welfare.

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM
There is no debating that a baby/fetus/embryo is just a child at an earlier stage of development.

The argument would not be wrong.

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

The argument would be wrong, legally, medically and anatomically.

And on the other hand, there is no debating that a  child is a child.

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM

It's the parent's right to choose, but people are always going to express their opinions about what other people do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN