Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I really have a hard time lying to my kids about the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. My son had to have a tooth pulled today at the dentist and he has been so excited about it all day about the tooth fairy coming! I played along and was excited with him but a part of me felt bad for lying to him. I know it's fun for kids but I just dread the day I have to tell them that none of these things that they love and get so excited about are real. That we lied to them. Anyone else feel this way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Evonavich
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM
WHAT?! The tooth fairy and Santa aren't real?! NOOOOOO! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the big deal with having fun with your kids.

And honestly...it's not a lie. Santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny....they all exist.

Nicole060812
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM
It was always fun and exciting knowing Santa or tooth fairy were coming....I would be sad if I missed out on that like all the other kids. I never grew up and resented my parents for "lying" to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyKBabies
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM
I found out on my own. I started noticing that 'Santa' had the same handwriting as my mom or dad... I pretended I believed in him for a few more years though lol. I don't hate my parents for lying to me, it's a tradition & all in good fun. Why get mad about it? In our house now, our kids get stockings & a few presents from Santa, me & DH get stockings too :) Santa ALWAYS knows exactly what I wanted ;D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Honestly I am bot sure they ever believed, my oldest is.6.5 and one year for the Easter bunny she said that is just someone in a costume like on Halloween and I said yes you are right.

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Did they ever believe or did you tell them from the beginning?

Quoting lapcounter:

My kids know the truth about each.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMommyNE
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I remember loving the excitement of it all and I honestly don't remember even being told they weren't real. I know my kids are not going to be upset with me about it but I still have these feelings of guilt for telling them something that is not truthful. I know in my head its silly for me to feel this way but I do.

Quoting Nicole060812:

It was always fun and exciting knowing Santa or tooth fairy were coming....I would be sad if I missed out on that like all the other kids. I never grew up and resented my parents for "lying" to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMommyNE
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM
My oldest questioned the mall Santa when he was 4. I had to tell him they were just Santa's helpers since Santa was so busy that time of year. He believed me and now he just whispers to me when we see these Santas every year that its just Santa's helper. We don't go see the Easter bunny. It's just too obvious he's a guy in a suit and I don't know how to explain that one. LOL

Quoting lapcounter:

Honestly I am bot sure they ever believed, my oldest is.6.5 and one year for the Easter bunny she said that is just someone in a costume like on Halloween and I said yes you are right.

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Did they ever believe or did you tell them from the beginning?

Quoting lapcounter:

My kids know the truth about each.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I grew up with Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy. I grew out of believing in them. It wasn't a horrible experience and I continue the tradition with my kids. Personally, I can't wait until they stop believing because it will make my life easier. As with all "stories", the more I try to keep them believing the more not-true things I have to say. Plus, I would love to be able to have all of the gifts under the tree during Christmas and not have to wait until they go to sleep (which takes forever because they're so excited about "Santa") before hauling them all out. It's exhausting. I also get tired of Santa getting all of the credit. I mean, I do all of the shopping and planning, I give thoughtful gifts that I know they will love or that I know they really want. So it kind of breaks my heart when they say, "Oh! Yes! I WANTED THIS FOR SO LONG! How did he know???? Thank you Santa!!" Grrrr, damn it!

BlessedMommyNE
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM
We have stockings for DH and I too. I love picking out all the little things for the stocking probably better than the big gifts. :)

Quoting LoveMyKBabies:

I found out on my own. I started noticing that 'Santa' had the same handwriting as my mom or dad... I pretended I believed in him for a few more years though lol. I don't hate my parents for lying to me, it's a tradition & all in good fun. Why get mad about it? In our house now, our kids get stockings & a few presents from Santa, me & DH get stockings too :) Santa ALWAYS knows exactly what I wanted ;D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMommyNE
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I know! Christmas Eve is always a late night wrapping Santa gifts and fearing one of them will wake up and see. Same thing with Easter but it's worth the look on their faces in the morning! Last night when I was trying to be the tooth fairy I almost got caught. He woke up but I told him I was just checking on him and be went back to sleep.

Quoting davnrori:

I grew up with Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy. I grew out of believing in them. It wasn't a horrible experience and I continue the tradition with my kids. Personally, I can't wait until they stop believing because it will make my life easier. As with all "stories", the more I try to keep them believing the more not-true things I have to say. Plus, I would love to be able to have all of the gifts under the tree during Christmas and not have to wait until they go to sleep (which takes forever because they're so excited about "Santa") before hauling them all out. It's exhausting. I also get tired of Santa getting all of the credit. I mean, I do all of the shopping and planning, I give thoughtful gifts that I know they will love or that I know they really want. So it kind of breaks my heart when they say, "Oh! Yes! I WANTED THIS FOR SO LONG! How did he know???? Thank you Santa!!" Grrrr, damn it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)