Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I really have a hard time lying to my kids about the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. My son had to have a tooth pulled today at the dentist and he has been so excited about it all day about the tooth fairy coming! I played along and was excited with him but a part of me felt bad for lying to him. I know it's fun for kids but I just dread the day I have to tell them that none of these things that they love and get so excited about are real. That we lied to them. Anyone else feel this way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
panther79
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I just got sick of Santa getting the credit for the cool stuff that DH & I bought them lol. I know it sounds petty but I liked hearing that mom got it right lol

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

We are a Montessori family and were not comfortable telling such lies, so we didn't. We made a point of telling our son not to tell other children who might believe in such "myths" but the funny part is that our son came home and said that he would like to pretend about the tooth fairy and so we did. It seemed harmless since he chose to do this and there were no lies and we did enjoy the game. At our house the tooth fairy left a dollar and a book and my son was always thrilled to get both of those things so all around the solution he devised was a good one for our family, absolutely a win-win!

hp2011
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM

When he's ready to learn about the tooth fairy, have him watch "Darkness Falls" (movie).

sucker4myloves
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I don't think you need to worry unless your kids are dim. My brother and I figured these things out on our own without any adult having to tell us; it's just something most kids naturally figure out. Common sense takes over. Warning though: I figured it out by six or seven, and pretended I still believed in Santa till I was 10 because I knew it meant more presents. They realized I was full of shit when someone pointed out to them that ten year olds are really that dumb.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

mommyoftwo103
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Let your child be a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM
No.

Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy and the like are such a magical part of childhood. I would never rob them of that fun innocence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Nope, because I think it is fun for both of us. I know there is no Santa but I feel he represents the spirit of Christmas. He might not be real but the magic of that time of year is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moselys
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I will never tell my kids that they aren't real I let them figure it out on their own. When they asked me I simply said its what ever you choose to believe. I believe in the magic of Santa.
stephy_85
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I have always thought that it is part of the magic of being a kid. I found a great letter on Pinterest that can be used to tell your children when the time is right about Santa, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy etc. That being said I'm so happy that my kids believe in them all. We are actually in the process of making a fairy house and garden for all the fairies to visit ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ald1920
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM
I figured it out on my own when I got older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)