Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

She gets a free day home

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 10 year old vomited in school yesterday around 12:00 so they sent her home.  I pick her up and she tells me she was fine after she vomited and that she felt better right away.  So i bring her home and she was fine. Rule in school is she has to stay home till she's puke free for 24 hours.   She hasn't puked since and has eaten several times since and she's feeling fine but i still can't let her go to school.   When I picked her up they politely reminded me of the 24 hour rule and told her they'd see her Monday.   think we will spend the day watching movies or maybe go out to lunch.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM

My husband was like that yesterday. I think theres a virus going around right now. Have fun having a day with your child. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I would still send her to school.

TheMrs407
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I have had kids throw up because they thought something was gross and gagged or coughed so much they threw up or just an upset stomach or they ate too much or some other non illness related reason.  I have found these reasons tend to happen more often than illness related reasons.  While I think the 24 hour rule is a good one, it can cause unnecessary "free days", I hope your DD enjoys hers.

CrystalDawn2506
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM

They have the 24 hr rule at DD's school to for fevers and vomiting. I guess its to ensure of no viruses etc going around. But hey making it a fun day wouldn't hurt as long as she knew not to do it on the daily : P

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

They would just send her right back home.  She wouldnt last 10 minutes in class.

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Enjoy the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Quoting TheMrs407:

I have had kids throw up because they thought something was gross and gagged or coughed so much they threw up or just an upset stomach or they ate too much or some other non illness related reason.  I have found these reasons tend to happen more often than illness related reasons.  While I think the 24 hour rule is a good one, it can cause unnecessary "free days", I hope your DD enjoys hers.

She thinks it was the yougurt.   She said it smelled a lil funny but ate it anyway.  She eats breakfast in school and yesterday was yogurt.  She said a lil while after eating it she felt funny and it just got worse until she puked.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Enjoy the day! I'm glad her school enforces that rule. In the last couple of weeks, I've had 2 students puke at school, but their parents are MIA, so they had to suffer through the rest of the day. I felt so bad for them. I'm glad you were able to pick her up.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

As a mom and as someone that worked at our school, both in and out of the classroom, I can't help but wonder why in the world you would disregard such a commonsense rule when it is put in place to protect all the children, their families, the school staff, and their families? Yes there are times when this rule may keep a child home that is not contagious but others when the child is and can spread the illness to others. There would be fewer sick children and less days missed to illness if everyone would follow not only this rule but its sister rule of 24 hours fever free and also keep any child that simply isn't well home. I am not referring to a common cold although a small child that has a cold and runny nose and can't manage the situation without getting mucus on themselves and others should also be kept home. It just isn't fair to send a sick, potentially sick, or even an only maybe sick child to school; not to the child who may feel worse as time passes, not to others that may catch what the child has, and not to the class and teachers who will be distracted by having to deal with a sick child in school that should be home. 

Quoting notjstasocermom:

littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I completely agree. I got bashed when I said this though.

apparently there are way too many potential circumstances that keep parents from being good parents. :/
it is a simple rule to follow

Quoting GaleJ:

As a mom and as someone that worked at our school, both in and out of the classroom, I can't help but wonder why in the world you would disregard such a commonsense rule when it is put in place to protect all the children, their families, the school staff, and their families? Yes there are times when this rule may keep a child home that is not contagious but others when the child is and can spread the illness to others. There would be fewer sick children and less days missed to illness if everyone would follow not only this rule but its sister rule of 24 hours fever free and also keep any child that simply isn't well home. I am not referring to a common cold although a small child that has a cold and runny nose and can't manage the situation without getting mucus on themselves and others should also be kept home. It just isn't fair to send a sick, potentially sick, or even an only maybe sick child to school; not to the child who may feel worse as time passes, not to others that may catch what the child has, and not to the class and teachers who will be distracted by having to deal with a sick child in school that should be home. 

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)