Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

2 questions re breast cancer

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not meant to start drama or debate. I have 2 question.

1. Do you know anyone that has or has had breast cancer?
2. Do you know if they breastfed or not?

Please no drama, just answer or move on. Thanks.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Replies (51-59):
kaygarcia97
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Both of my grandmothers had breast cancer and both of them breastfed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM

yes

no

wodntulk2kno1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Yes and the did breast feed both children. Shortly after the second child is when it was discovered. She opted for a double mastectomy and I know she took that harder then the cancer news.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaceyRK
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Ok. I'm not trying to be nosey or pushy :) I just try to spread advocacy as much as possible. My aunt and great aunt died of ovarian cancer because of one of the breast cancer genes, (my grandma did too, but that was long before they came out with this test) and I know in my heart that they would still be here if they had only known to get tested, then be proactive about their positive test results, (we're 100% sure they carried the same BRCA1 mutation that my mom has). This BRCA test is just now really starting to come to light, but there are still A LOT of doctors that don't know a thing about it, which is really scary. More and more people are finding out they have a harmful BRCA mutation, putting them at an extremely high risk for not just breast cancer, but other cancers as well. Knowledge is power :) Just something your husband and SIL might want to consider :)

Quoting Msgme:

Not that i'm aware of  but we only know the family of my father in law's mom.  His dad was killed in WWII  and my fil never met his side of the family..  

Quoting LaceyRK:

I'm sorry :( Your husband and SIL really should get tested. It's such an expensive test (for the first family member that gets tested), but man it's worth it. Do you know if there was any prostate or ovarian or pancreatic cancer on his dad's side of the family as well?

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting LaceyRK:

Quoting Msgme:

The only person I know that had "breast" cancer was my father in law.  Most people don't know that it can happen to men as well.  But its quite rare. He was just very unlucky.  I believe his mother and her mother had it as well but they passed away long before i met dh. 

Has your FIL considered being tested for the BRCA genetic mutations? You are right, it is rare for men to get breast cancer, but a lot of them that do are either BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive. Having a parent who is BRCA positive means each of their children have a 50% chance of inheriting the gene. Scary stuff.

He passed away about 11 years ago   don't know if they ever tested for that.  I do worry about dh and his siblings tho.  I know my sil gets checked out regularly tho

M0M0F03
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I only know of 3 people and they all did.

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM
My aunt has breast cancer, she never breastfed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

MY MOM HAS BREAST CANCER SHE BREASTFED

gregsgrl04
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
My mom has breast cancer and breastfed for a total of 5 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

My MIL had it,and no she didn't BF and she passed in march/2010 she was 63 . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)