Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Have you read about the Walmart employee strike.. What do you think about it?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Wnwk3bVww&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

they are stupid. They are retail do they expect to make  $25 an hour.

Quoting MissMandaz:

It doesn't matter what YOU call it.. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Its not a stike they arent union its quiting lol

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

without a union their jobs are not secure if they strike they can all be considered walking out on their jobs and quiting

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

You don't have to be union to strike.

Take a look at the Sit Down Strike in Flint Michigan. They weren't Union when they began their strike, then the UAW was born.

MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Your obviously not educated on this subject if you think that's what they want...

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

they are stupid. They are retail do they expect to make  $25 an hour.

Quoting MissMandaz:

It doesn't matter what YOU call it.. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by Tamika on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Good! I hope they get the treatment they deserve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

They can strike with out a Union. It doesn't mean that they will have jobs when they're done striking, but they can still strike. How do you think Unions come to be? Do you think people just stand together one day and go "Let's be a Union?!" It doesn't work that way. It usually starts with employees being unhappy, then they strike, then they Unionize.

If you're unwilling to look at the Sit Down Strike in Flint, MI. Check out a movie titled Matewan. It's about a coal mining operation whos workers want to Unionize.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

without a union their jobs are not secure if they strike they can all be considered walking out on their jobs and quiting

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Take a look at the Sit Down Strike in Flint Michigan. They weren't Union when they began their strike, then the UAW was born.

Photobucket

sucker4myloves
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's great that these people were brave enough to strike. My husband works for walmart, and he would never ever strike. He knows they'll just fire him and be done with the whole thing. They once closed down an entire store because one employee joined a union. Closed the entire thing down. He's scared of striking, losing his job and our family being destitute. I told him, if you want to stick up for yourself, I'll get two jobs waitressing and make twice what you were making there. But he won't do it. :/ He's not one to stick up for himself though. I understand he wants the job security...but sometimes I think our principles are worth more than the security, ya know? It's a moot point though. My man won't risk his family being without. I love him for it, but I wish he would trust me to take care of us.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Lisse_2006
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Are you from Flint, MI?

LaughJoyLove
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I have been following this recently on the news, and quite frankly, I'm concerned because Black Friday has been volitile for several years.  Also, I usually work security on Black Friday for a little extra cash, but I'm quite hesitant to do so this year - it simply doens't seem worth the risk of the kind of potential violence.

sucker4myloves
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Why is the strike going to affect black friday? Not trying to be obnoxious, I actually wanna know lol

Quoting LaughJoyLove:

I have been following this recently on the news, and quite frankly, I'm concerned because Black Friday has been volitile for several years.  Also, I usually work security on Black Friday for a little extra cash, but I'm quite hesitant to do so this year - it simply doens't seem worth the risk of the kind of potential violence.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

parentalrights1
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM
I never thought the pay was unreasonable. My only complaint is when they would cut your hours once a year. They cut bad and that hurts families trying to keep up with bills but as far as the employees, the good hard working ones generally gained favor with management and were more valued so they got more hours. The shitty entitled employees that just drug themselves in every day and didn't have pride in their work always got less favor and were always the most vocal with their bitching
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)