Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Have you read about the Walmart employee strike.. What do you think about it?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Wnwk3bVww&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
LaughJoyLove
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

From what I have seen/read about it on news posts, the majority of potential chaos and employee grievences are supposed to occur on Black Friday - evidently to intnesify the employees grievences, as Black Friday would logically be the worst, most challenging, and most embarrassing opportunity for employees to challenge management.

AlohaTink
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I've been an employee of Walmart for almost 5 years. I'm unsure about unionizing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebecca_tal4
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM
I don't work for walmart but I do work for one of the other large retailers in the country.h

Black friday is a joke. And it's getting dangerous. Last year I had to man one of the tv "stations" to make sure no one took more than one. I was scared and thank goodness that one of my male co workers saw I was alone and stopped to help. No one got hurt our challenged us.

Unless you've worked retail before you have no idea the amount of effort it takes to keep a huge store running. No it's not a highly specialized job, but we still deserve a decent wage and health care. These are multi billon dollar companies who make their billons on the backs of us little guys.

I've been in retail for ten years now, twelve if you count the two years I worked thru high school...
I don't intend on leaving my company any time soon but last year they cut our health insurance. I have three kids, one of them has an unpredictable brain disorder. She HAS to have good coverage. All those high paid executives at the top could care less. That's a damn shame. That's why we need a union. Unfortunately, I also work for a company that discourages it's employees from organizing. I'd lose my job on top of having shitty health care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelcatia
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM
I would say it isnt as much about the wages as the unfair treatment, retaliation, and crap benefits that the company says are SO great. Even the most menial jobs with that company are getting to be dangerous, physically.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

they are stupid. They are retail do they expect to make  $25 an hour.

Quoting MissMandaz:

It doesn't matter what YOU call it.. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Its not a stike they arent union its quiting lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM
2 moms liked this

We are a proud, third generation union family and we are thrilled to see these workers strike to improve the conditions of their employment. While I understand that some families must, because of their budgets, shop at Walmart, we refuse to do so. We instead shop for groceries at stores that are unionized so that our spending helps to support our brothers and sisters who have decent paying jobs with benefits and the protection of their union in dealing with their employer. Unions helped to create the great American middle class after WWII and helped to secure for their memberships such benefitsas the paid vacation, fixed, contributory pension, the five day/forty hour week, benefits, and overtime which became more common and accepted for all workers over time. Later as big corporations beat back unions wages stagnated and as union memberships dropped companies were free to take away some of the hard won benefits workers had previously secured for themselves and now people are working hard for companies like Walmart and are unable to support themselves and their families. So Walmart and other companies make huge profits while their employees are forced to seek government assistance, including food assistance and medicaid, and the rest of us pay for this. Unions help to balance the power between employers and employees and if more American workers, whether at a Walmart warehouse or anywhere else, were union members our families as well as our country would be better off. Please, if you can, support the strikers and consider working for union membership at your job, we all deserve to be able to support our families through our hard work.

ModernMoonlight
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:13 AM

I work at Walmart and have a child that was born very sick and is in and out of hospitals. I'm near the point of being fired because as a single parent, when she is hospitalized I am the only one who is there for her. I've had to miss work only a handful of times since I started a little over a year ago and even have the proof and notes, but walmart does not accept any kind of proof, unless it is you yourself that is hospitalized. I'm on my third write up for attendance, but I cannot help that my child is sick. She's under the age of 2 and needs her momma when her health gets bad. Walmart doesn't care.

MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:15 AM
I missed five days because both my kids were diagnosed with h1n1 and couldn't attend daycare... They wouldn't take the doctors note and wrote me up aswell.. November makes three years for me..

Quoting ModernMoonlight:

I work at Walmart and have a child that was born very sick and is in and out of hospitals. I'm near the point of being fired because as a single parent, when she is hospitalized I am the only one who is there for her. I've had to miss work only a handful of times since I started a little over a year ago and even have the proof and notes, but walmart does not accept any kind of proof, unless it is you yourself that is hospitalized. I'm on my third write up for attendance, but I cannot help that my child is sick. She's under the age of 2 and needs her momma when her health gets bad. Walmart doesn't care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:27 AM
If you aren't happy with the conditions of your job or the hours or the pay get a new one. I don't understand the logic stay at a job for almost 9 years they isn't working for you then complain you don't make enough? Well damn doesn't life suck. If I don't make enough at my work I'd find a new one and if I changed my availbility or became a crappy employee I know my hours would suffer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Agreed

Quoting angelcatia:

I would say it isnt as much about the wages as the unfair treatment, retaliation, and crap benefits that the company says are SO great. Even the most menial jobs with that company are getting to be dangerous, physically.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

they are stupid. They are retail do they expect to make  $25 an hour.

Quoting MissMandaz:

It doesn't matter what YOU call it.. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Its not a stike they arent union its quiting lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)