Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I suppose I need a boost of confidence (college related)

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 26 Replies
I know I've made a few posts about this but I'm still finding my way in the college world and the second hand experience stories are nice.

I've been mulling over switching my major and after speaking with a few of my professors I only have a few more steps to take before I make the final decision.

The major I want to switch to is psychology and I'm looking for an individualized concentration program. The career field I'm looking into is involved with the biological behaviors of neuroscience. Switching my major means I would need to do 100 hours of internship.

I think my main concern with that is time. How many weekly hours working as an intern are typically required for a full time student? If my life situation stays the same I'd be looking at juggling school, raising 2 kids, working, and the internship. I'm just wondering how on earth I would ever find the time to manage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
No idea...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nazgor
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
at my university an internship is either the same as full or part time work. it depends on your field.

it is also super competitive. look up the course requirements for that major and it should give you specifics about the internship info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nazgor
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM
what is your current major?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Lookit me, bitching about biology all the time and ending up loving it. It kicks my ass so hard but its so fascinating.

I'll look that up, mama. Thank you.

Quoting nazgor:

at my university an internship is either the same as full or part time work. it depends on your field.

it is also super competitive. look up the course requirements for that major and it should give you specifics about the internship info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Human development and family studies with a concentration in early childhood education.

Quoting nazgor:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

with requirements like that, a lot of times the internship is done at the end of schooling and is treated as it's own semester. At least, that is how a lot of people I know did it. Out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing with your psych degree? I know a lot of career paths require a masters if it is psych related...

nazgor
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
biology is awesome!

it's like one of those subjects...the more you know :)

Quoting epoh:

Lookit me, bitching about biology all the time and ending up loving it. It kicks my ass so hard but its so fascinating.

I'll look that up, mama. Thank you.

Quoting nazgor:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nazgor
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM
how off course would changing it set you?

I got my AA...in general studies. it was basically a waste of 2 years. yes, I do have my general courses towards any bachelors out of the way, it's set me back some.

Quoting epoh:

Human development and family studies with a concentration in early childhood education.

Quoting nazgor:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I would need my masters to start and I would eventually have to get my PhD, which the thought of has me slightly shaking in my boots. I'd like to study the biological effects of what happens neurologically with pathological disease and mental disorders. I want to research; I'd probably be in a lab.

Quoting ragitty:

with requirements like that, a lot of times the internship is done at the end of schooling and is treated as it's own semester. At least, that is how a lot of people I know did it. Out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing with your psych degree? I know a lot of career paths require a masters if it is psych related...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Flovely on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I can't help with knowledge from that major.  I did attend a few nursing semesters as a single mother and it was all done during daytime hours.  I think you will be just fine and you have the drive ;) You can do it, Hope.  I just believe that you can.  I might not know you as well as others but I do think that once you are determined that you just decide to do it...get it done.
It will work out.  Believe in yourself ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN