Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mary Kay, Pure Romance, Scentsy- Does selling this stuff really work?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 27 Replies

A post I saw yesterday got me thinking... I have been wanting a second income, something just for me, but I need something where I can pick the hours. Does anyone have experience with these types of companies? I've hosted lingerie, Tupperware and crystal parties before and they were so much fun, I figured it might be worth a shot.

by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I don't have any personal experience with selling but I go to passion parties and my sales lady loves her job. She doesn't work other than the passion parties. She says she can make $500 from a small party.

ChelseySpelsey
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM
It does but it depends on how saturated the market is in your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brazil1
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Anything works if you work. Great point Chelsey, in my experience most markets are saturated. I found a financial firm that runs similarly, and found that money never goes out of style and people need financial help, not be sold Another product, specially if they are using a credit card to pay for it ;) hope this helps.
evelynolivesmom
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Damn, $500! Honestly, I just need something that is only mine and if I can make some money then great!

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't have any personal experience with selling but I go to passion parties and my sales lady loves her job. She doesn't work other than the passion parties. She says she can make $500 from a small party.

Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM
The problem is the hidden fees. Avon is the worst. They charge you for every book they send you whether you sell something or not. Samples, displays etc. So you need to put yourself into it whole heartedly or you'll end up with less than you went into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evelynolivesmom
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Great point! I haven't actually researched anything yet, just thinking about some ideas. Technically I'm in the 21st. worst economic and political city in the country, but I'm also next to some ritzy areas. I really need to do some research.

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

kattu
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I've kind of always wanted to go to one. How does it work? Do you know the people there?

Quoting alwayskk:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evelynolivesmom
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yes, very helpful, that's why I brought this here. People won't BS me and I'll probably get some good ideas : )

Quoting Brazil1:

Anything works if you work. Great point Chelsey, in my experience most markets are saturated. I found a financial firm that runs similarly, and found that money never goes out of style and people need financial help, not be sold Another product, specially if they are using a credit card to pay for it ;) hope this helps.

ChelseySpelsey
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Yes definitely research. I was selling Scentsy at one point and I was doing 'ok' but there are SO freaking many consultants around here that everyone was just 'over it' already, and trying to do parties & such was a complete nightmare.

Quoting evelynolivesmom:

Great point! I haven't actually researched anything yet, just thinking about some ideas. Technically I'm in the 21st. worst economic and political city in the country, but I'm also next to some ritzy areas. I really need to do some research.

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting kattu:

I've kind of always wanted to go to one. How does it work? Do you know the people there?

Quoting alwayskk:

The girl who sells the products put something on facebook about starting her business and needing people to host parties. The person who hosts gets a free gift, I believe. So one of my friends took her up on the offer and started hosting, I just got an invite to it.

I thought about asking her to have a party at my house.

I think you can also google the website and see if you can contact a local rep to come have a party at your house.

*ETA* The first time, I didn't know anyone but the person whose house it was. I was nervous but it was so fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)