Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fevers/ sick every month

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 66 Replies
Hi everyone. Does anyone have children who get fevers often? I swear since the spring my DD who is four has had fevers/ been sick every month. She had blood work, xrays, etc. My big fear is cancer but Dr reassures me it would show up in blood work and other ways. He hasn't been able to give me any answers. Along with this she has constant cough, congestion etc. He gave us a number to take her to Infectious disease Dr to try and find an answer. Has anyone experienced this? I'm a nervous wreck that its something serious. I feel like high fevers don't happen unless there is infection or something somewhere. Anyone?? Please keep her in thoughts and prayers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Try boosting her immune system with elderberry syrup:

Elderberry Syrup
1/2 cup elderberries (1 cup if using fresh)
1 cinnamon stick
5 cloves
1tbs grated ginger
1/2 cup echinacea
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup raw honey

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir and lower heat to simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Remove from heat, strain and stir in honey.
Allow to cool and store in a closed container in fridge.
Use within a few weeks.

You can buy all ingredients at Whole Foods.

Take 1tbs a day to protect against illness or if already sick take 1 tbs an hour until better.

Hope this helps!

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Thank you! Love the all natural ! We eat healthy, organic etc. I even have my own all natural beauty and bath line. Anyway thank you. Its just crazy because she was never sick until this year, which is what worries me!

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Try boosting her immune system with elderberry syrup:

Elderberry Syrup
1/2 cup elderberries (1 cup if using fresh)
1 cinnamon stick
5 cloves
1tbs grated ginger
1/2 cup echinacea
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup raw honey

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir and lower heat to simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Remove from heat, strain and stir in honey.
Allow to cool and store in a closed container in fridge.
Use within a few weeks.

You can buy all ingredients at Whole Foods.

Take 1tbs a day to protect against illness or if already sick take 1 tbs an hour until better.

Hope this helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsblissmas
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Mine doesn't get fevers a lot but has a lot of other "issues". I hope they can figure out what is going on. Good luck to you and hugs too!

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I'm worried for nothing...

Quoting itsblissmas:

Mine doesn't get fevers a lot but has a lot of other "issues". I hope they can figure out what is going on. Good luck to you and hugs too!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

nope sorry, my kids are rarely sick. good luck, hope you find an answer.

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Thank you! We were the same until this year. My friends always said she has the best immunity and never gets sick, scary!

Quoting notjstasocermom:

nope sorry, my kids are rarely sick. good luck, hope you find an answer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

did you child recently start attending daycare or school of some kind on a regular basis?  if so, you bet she's catching all sorts of stuff from the other kids and it's totally normal.

when dd started daycare at 16mos old, she was sick pretty much every week for a year and a half!  

also cold and flu season is around this time so people are sick all the time.  kids' immune systems aren't as developed and the more they're exposed to viruses/colds etc, the stronger their immune system gets.  it's tough to see them sick but at the same time, it's "good" for them (to build their immune system).

as they get older and stronger, they won't get sick as often and if they do,  it won't knock them out as hard.  just be sure to make sure she gets as much sleep as possible on a regular basis (studies have shown a direct correlation to sleep and health), she eats well and eats her fruits/veggies that are high in antioxidents.  around cold and flu season, i give dd extra amounts of black and blueberries.

christina0607
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Has she been tested for lymes ? I'm not a Dr, but if it was my child I would.d that tested. My son had it and it presented itself in underlying symptoms, like low grade fevers. Its an easy test, and I think worth at least doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I spent my childhood with a fever. Teams of doctors tons of blood work nothing ever came back wrong. I was diagnosed with a fever of a unknown orgin. I grew out of it around age 15.

My mother and sister had the same problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM
My friends daughter had a similar issue. She was diagnosed with periodic fever syndrome I think it was. Basically just causes otherwise unexplained fevers, kids outgrow it by about six I think she said. It lasted about a year for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN