Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
And the fact that food keeps getting more fudging expensive, we have decided to transform our 1 acre yard into a food garden. Our planning is extensive. Dh played around with the idea before but I could never manage a garden because of 4 difficult pregnancies and small kid everywhere. In the spring they will be 9,5, 3 and1 so I have a tad more free time. My inlaws and my parents have bitty city property and want space in our yard to grow things. In return they will help us manage it all. So I have divided up the yard. The front yard will be almost entirely a veggie garden. Half will be ours and the other half will be divided between my parents and dh parents.

The entire veggie garden will be surrounded by catmint, lavender and marigolds to deter pests and to look nice. It will be fenced with farm fencing to keep out the chickens. Yes we are also doing chickens! Plymouth rocks and black giants I do beleive. For both eggs and meat :). We will probably also be raising rabbits for meat. Fil did it for years. Rabbits are cute and the kids will love playing with them, plus they are delicious. I have a hard time with my food having a face, but we have to eat. I know they will be treated lovingly and humanly so that's certainly better than the lives the animals led that we buy in the store.

In the garden we are going to grow tomato, beans, peas, carrots, turnips, eggplant, potato, kale, spinach, lettuce, onion, leeks, garlic, peppers, corn, melons, pumpkin, squash. Dh stipulated that they all be heirloom so we can save seeds.

We will also be putting in a grape arbor and a hops arbor. Mommy likes wine and daddy likes beer :). The far side of our property will have blackberries, rasberries and hardy kiwi. Also 2 apple, 2 pear, 1 cherry, and 1 plum tree.

I am doing a seperate perenial garden that will house evergreen bunching onions, aspersgus, strawberries and herbs.

I'm excited!! My brother has a phd in horticulture and will be comming to test our soil all over and help us make everything perfect. Dh wants a goat really bad but I drawl the line there. I don't like them. They have creepy rectangular pupils. It's not right, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
Ashley_Carlson
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My uncle made that mistake and we nearly lost him. If your in-laws are that adamant about it, scrub your plants like they're covered in toxic waste, because manure is toxic waste. 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Mil and fil want to do that with their plants. I understood that manure had to age a certain amount of time to prevent things like burning the plants and contaminating food but they disagree. My parents agree with me however so that topic will be interesting.

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Oh, do NOT put ANY manure whatsoever on your plants. You greatly increase the risk of an E Coli infection if you use manure. Just use leaves and your kitchen scraps (no meats or fish) to make compost and use that to fertilize your plants. 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Ok,I will! I've been living on backyard chickens.com and gardening sites. I want to get this right.

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Check out the book Country Living and Know-How. It's a big brown paperback book that I must have read cover to cover 3 times by now.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Yay!!! Someone else to go hippy with me!! My parents love to make fun of us for being 'hippy' and yet they are worse than us. But it's not being hippy, oh no, it being frugal! Lol. Mom taught me to can 2 years ago. We even took a class on it last year to make sure we were being safe.

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

YOU STOLE MY IDEA! Except I'll be raising White Delawares and Black Australorp chickens, and Nubian goats.

momma2b2008
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Eh, have fun keeping up with that! It's A LOT of work!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM
You need to grow yellow beets!!!!! My mom grows them they are delicious!!!!! After they are bioled she cuts them up and put them in. Frying pan with butter, then adds sour cream and dill. Omg!! So yummy
JMmomof2
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM
We have a large garden and its totally worth it
grey7399
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM

2 words ----- valais sheep.  normal eyes & raised for meat

lageise
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Good luck.  It sounds wonderful.  You will know where the food came from and that it's healthy.  I've never had rabbit.  I'm not sure I would try it.  I hope your kids won't be upset by it, but other food comes from animals too.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM
I worry about that too. Dh grew up on a farm and to him animals were fun and food. He is telling them about the animals we will have and that they will be dinner later. They seem to understand the basics. He would never slaughter in front of them though, not until they are older.

Quoting lageise:

Good luck.  It sounds wonderful.  You will know where the food came from and that it's healthy.  I've never had rabbit.  I'm not sure I would try it.  I hope your kids won't be upset by it, but other food comes from animals too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Can I buy stuff from yours?

lisa601
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Sounds good! We got a rain barrel last year and it really helped with watering. It has small holes in the top and is covered in mesh to keep out Mosquitos.
myperfect4inok
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM
I can't wait to do my garden next year.
Ours didn't take this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN