Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fruit Flies!!!

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
Are driving me insane! I have no clue where they came from...but they are EVERYWHERE! How do I kill these little effers??? I found something on pinterest that said apple cider vinegar and a slide of banana....I have neither. lol. Suggestions?
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Clean. Open food will attract them. So don't leave anything open, and don't leave a single dish in the sink.

Also they could be coming from your drains, in any room. So clean all the drains.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM

the house is clean :( im a neat freak. its spotless. i dont even have any fruit in the house, i don't know where they came from :(

the sinks are clean but can i just pour bleach down the drains? will that help?

Quoting christina0607:

Clean. Open food will attract them. So don't leave anything open, and don't leave a single dish in the sink.

Also they could be coming from your drains, in any room. So clean all the drains.

christina0607
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Well something is attracting them.

I like to use vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice to clean my drains. I'm not a big fan of bleach.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

the house is clean :( im a neat freak. its spotless. i dont even have any fruit in the house, i don't know where they came from :(

the sinks are clean but can i just pour bleach down the drains? will that help?

Quoting christina0607:

Christy1919
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Fruit flies flourish in potting soil and fruit that comes from the grocery store. For soil mix a solution of dish soap and water and spray the soil. For fruit was all fruit especially bananas when you return from the market.
kansasmom1978
by Katie on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I have an old trick my grandmother did. Buy cantelouple, slice it and put it on a plate on the counter. place plastic wrap loosly over it so they can get in. After a bit they will be all over it. Take the plate and dump it in the trash, tie bag shut and take it outside to dumpster. I suggest a paper plate.  It works.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

i bought a fruit fly trap and kept all food covered.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM
I always mix dish detergent and vinegar and let it sit. Always kills those suckers off!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Losing
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

We had an invasion this summer..this is what worked.

Get a few small bowls put a drop of dish soap in and fill up with water. There has to some suds on top. Pour a lil bit of wine in there. They go for the wine but get trapped in the suds. Idk why but it had to be wine, we tried juice, but it didnt work. Those thngs are soooo aggravating! GL.

theresamarie77
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Once I got them and they were coming from potatoes in my cabinet... Threw them out..... No more fruit flies!!!

grey7399
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Rinse out your plants, check for a lost apple, leak under a sink etc.  

Leave out a cup of coffee w/creamer and they'll flock to it or orange jucie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)