Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need dr advice!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM
  • 44 Replies
So in Friday went to the Dr for my yearly check up! Blood pressure was perfect! Weight... I gained 10lbs in a year... wtf! So the nurse practitioner ordered a thyroid test. I get an email on my Dr office website that said my liver function is up a lot and my thyroid is up... I go and look... my thyroid is 4.79... the high of normal is 4.82... well that explains the huge weight gain. My liver function is triple what it should be. Ill be honest um freaked out now. The nurse practitioner said I have to so a non fasting blood test next month, umm hello isn't that something they should be figuring out now not in a month for it to possibly worsen? And thyroid... yup she said they won't test for of until next year! WTF? so i get to spend the next year either starving myself and working out double time only to continue to gain weight! I don't think she heard me say I gained 10lbs since Aug of THIS year! So my question would it be a big deal to email my actual Dr and pushed for something to be done now? I don't want anything to worsen. Thanks.... also anyone with hypothyroid here? Did you gain weight and then get it off with treatment? Is there any advice you can give me?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

What is your typical diet like in a day?  You can not starve yourself since that will definitely keep the body holding on to any fat.   You gained 10 lbs in3-4 months?  I would look at any stress in life, diet that may have worsened, etc.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this
what huge weight gain? you gained 10lbs.

we call that life, stress, getting older, having kids.

you are within normal limits. they aren't going to do anything.

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Breakfast shake in the morning, small lunch, and dinner. Same diet everyday for the past 3 years. No new added stress that u can think of... I'm a sahm. And yes 10lbs in 3-4 months time... something isn't right and my liver function is obviously showing it. As is my thyroid.

My exercise has increased! I was walking, sit ups and walking up and down the stairs for 15 min a day... I've now been stacking fire wood and trowing firewood into the wood stove outside for a month. At this rate even with exercise I'm going to be a blimp by this time next year.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What is your typical diet like in a day?  You can not starve yourself since that will definitely keep the body holding on to any fat.   You gained 10 lbs in3-4 months?  I would look at any stress in life, diet that may have worsened, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM
My liver is not in normal limits its triple what it should be! And I'm highly active! I work out eat right 10lbs in a short amount of time is a HUGE deal! I'm now 150! I don't want to be a fat ass... I feel ick and unhealthy.

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nursesummer
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Forget your thyroid!! You need to worry about your liver! !!!!!! Do you drink?? If so STOP. No alcohol or Tylenol. Your doctor needs to order an acute hepatitis panel, and abdominal ultrasound ASAP.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM
10lbs doesn't make you a fatass.

but creating a problem where there isn't one will.

calm down.

if you don't trust your doctor see another one.

but you said in your op your thyroid levels were within normal ranges.

okay your liver function is up, but unless its a chronic problem or you have other indications of something being wrong I can see why your doctor would wait a bit to retest.

Quoting Barronbaby:

My liver is not in normal limits its triple what it should be! And I'm highly active! I work out eat right 10lbs in a short amount of time is a HUGE deal! I'm now 150! I don't want to be a fat ass... I feel ick and unhealthy.

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM
I'm not a heavy drinker I enjoy a glass of red wine on occasion. They advised me to not take any tylonal and no drinking. But they are having me wait for a month to know wth is going on. Besides the constant constipation, and brittle nails and feeling like a fat cow I feel fine. I'm worried though

Quoting Nursesummer:

Forget your thyroid!! You need to worry about your liver! !!!!!! Do you drink?? If so STOP. No alcohol or Tylenol. Your doctor needs to order an acute hepatitis panel, and abdominal ultrasound ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Im .04 from going over normal for torpid even the nurse lady said she was very concerned I'm developing hypothyroid. I don't understand why they won't give Me answers. Like what if anything can I do to fix this. I'm 150 lbs and 5'2.. I'm overweight... so in my eyes a fat ass lol and I don't plan to own my weight I want it gone.

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.

okay your liver function is up, but unless its a chronic problem or you have other indications of something being wrong I can see why your doctor would wait a bit to retest.

Quoting Barronbaby:

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I trust my Dr. I don't trust the nurse practitioner! Then again I haven't known or seen her nearly as long as my Dr who has been on maternity leave

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.

Quoting Barronbaby:

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
they can't give you answers they don't have.

I mean they can make some shit up but its just made up.

you seriously need to relax.

go for the retest in a month. when they get those results, then you can figure out if you need more tests or it was just a fluke.

Quoting Barronbaby:

Im .04 from going over normal for torpid even the nurse lady said she was very concerned I'm developing hypothyroid. I don't understand why they won't give Me answers. Like what if anything can I do to fix this. I'm 150 lbs and 5'2.. I'm overweight... so in my eyes a fat ass lol and I don't plan to own my weight I want it gone.

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.

Quoting Barronbaby:

Quoting happymommy1105:

calm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN