Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My baby is blind as a bat! UPDATE w/ pics!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:43 AM
  • 85 Replies
My 5 year old failed her vision screening at her 5 year old well child check so I took her to the optomologist (sp?) and turns out she has a severe astigmatism and is farsighted. She has to have glasses. I'm worried about her being rough with her glasses and she is worried about not being pretty. I already told her that she is beautiful with or without glasses, but I really feel bad for her. Any tips from moms with little ones in glasses?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bgbootyho
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:46 AM
My daughter is very fond of kids with glasses. She tries to wear my moms glasses because she thinks she looks "smart and cute" lol. She doesn't need them though.

Good luck I hope your dd takes to her glasses okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Thanks

Quoting bgbootyho:

My daughter is very fond of kids with glasses. She tries to wear my moms glasses because she thinks she looks "smart and cute" lol. She doesn't need them though.

Good luck I hope your dd takes to her glasses okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XJetX
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been wearing glasses since I was 6. Tell her they're just another fashion accessory that only special people get to wear ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:56 AM
My daughter loves my glasses I think i'm going to buy her a pair of reading glasses. Tell your daughter she looks very smart in them no mater what anybody says.

I have astigmatism too i've been losing my eye sight since 3rd grade
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually have a daughter who is legally blind. She was 8 years old when we got her from the state and immediately we noticed she could not see. She thought she would be ugly in her glasses. I found the perfect pair of purple glasses that were cartoon branded from a show she loved. Yeah that extra $30 helped her with her choice to wear them. But so did just wearing them. When she put them on she told me "Oh that's what you're supposed to look like." Then she saw stars for the first time. It was easier after that. Oh and find people who wear glasses that are beautiful. Show her pictures. It is very popular to wear thick black frames right now.

mamakenzi
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:59 AM
I tried that. She was upset that princesses don't wear glasses. I'm just reassuring her as her concerns come up. We haven't gotten them yet, sometime this week they will be in.

Quoting XJetX:

I've been wearing glasses since I was 6. Tell her they're just another fashion accessory that only special people get to wear ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM
Optometrist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM
Well she picked out a pair of Disney princess glasses, paid entirely too much for them, but she loves the frames and refused to try any others. LOL! I have been trying to point out people wearing glasses. Thanks for that. Her eyesight is bad enough that it will make a huge difference.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I actually have a daughter who is legally blind. She was 8 years old when we got her from the state and immediately we noticed she could not see. She thought she would be ugly in her glasses. I found the perfect pair of purple glasses that were cartoon branded from a show she loved. Yeah that extra $30 helped her with her choice to wear them. But so did just wearing them. When she put them on she told me "Oh that's what you're supposed to look like." Then she saw stars for the first time. It was easier after that. Oh and find people who wear glasses that are beautiful. Show her pictures. It is very popular to wear thick black frames right now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Thank you, apparently I was far enough off that autocorrect didn't catch it!

Quoting ATG499:

Optometrist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Those expensive glasses will make all the different later in life. We got Angelica glasses from the Rugrats show. My baby is now 17 and can not get out of bed without her glasses on. She has not fought me on them since she realized how good they worked for her. 

Quoting mamakenzi:

Well she picked out a pair of Disney princess glasses, paid entirely too much for them, but she loves the frames and refused to try any others. LOL! I have been trying to point out people wearing glasses. Thanks for that. Her eyesight is bad enough that it will make a huge difference.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)