Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Parent/teacher conferences are tonight...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 5 Replies
And I'm secretly dreading it.

Ds is in kindergarten and has "severe ADHD" (his former therapist's words). When report cards came two weeks ago, he was failing everything. I work with him at home, doing his homework with him, reading to him, practicing his handwriting and letter/number recognition. He struggles and gets frustrated and then has a meltdown. After he calms down, he always comes back to it and does ok. It seems like he's getting it. However, at school, he doesn't. His teacher just referred him for occupational therapy because of all the problems he's having at school. I've emailed his teacher and written her numerous notes and have only gotten a response from her twice. I understand she's busy, but it's frustrating. So I'm kinda dreading the conference with her today. I'm worried about what she's going to say. I know that sounds ridiculous, but still. It's how I feel.

Just wanted to vent for a minute. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rockinmomto2
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Sounds like he needs a new teacher if she's not willing to work on his issues with the two of you.

jillbailey26
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Try not to focus on what she says, but how you two can work together to fix it.  Tell her that you need communication with her to know how he's doing, how his behavior is and what you can do at home to get his grades up.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
If he has severe ADHD and is failing school maybe you need to get him some help. My youngest is almost 4 and also severe ADHD. If he was failing in k I would be trying meds. Good luck either way mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I've been there. Totally understand your feelings.

Arwyn724
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

He needs an IEP in place.  The teachers have to follow it, and it gives him additional resources, like an aide when needed.  It will follow him all through school.  Look into it sooner than later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)