Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Woman in labor stops to vote on her way to the hospital

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

AP Photo/Cook County Clerk

Who won Election Day? This new mom. In this photo provided by the Cook County Clerk, Galicia Malone pauses outside New Life Celebration Church in Dolton, Ill., where she cast her vote while in full-blown labor before heading to the hospital.

Talk about getting out the labor vote.

One determined Chicago woman voted this morning - even though she was in full-blown labor, with contractions five minutes apart. After casting her ballot, she drove herself to the hospital.

Galicia Malone's contractions began at 3 a.m. on Election Day, she told WBBM Newsradio in Chicago. At 21, this is the first presidential eleciton in which Malone is eligible to vote, so she held out until polls opened.

"I never voted before, so this made a major difference in my life. I wanted it to be a stepping stone for my daughter," she told WBBM. The office of Cook County Clerk David Orr told NBC her water had already broken when she showed up at her polling place, the aptly named New Life Celebration Church.

"If only all voters showed such determination to vote," Orr said. "My hat goes off to Galicia for not letting anything get in the way of voting. What a terrific example she is showing for the next generation, especially her new son or daughter."

She worked her way through the ballot while also working through several contractions. She told WBBM:

"You know what, I was just trying to read and breathe, read and breathe. That's what I kept telling myself as I sat there, read and breathe."

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM
:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by I Rock on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Lol that's awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

what a great example

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

good

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Now that's dedication!

turtle07
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

She's so cute!

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Lol, that is something I would have done. I stopped to eat at Shoney's before I went to the hospital.

_WC_Mama
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

goodGood for her!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN