Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was 'that' annoying neighbor

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM
  • 141 Replies
5 moms liked this
Oops... I am one of those adults that don't believe infants need Trick or Treat Candy... so I went to Walmart & bought 6 packages of those Huggies travel pack wipes.... when someone with a baby came to the house, I put a package in their trick or Treat bag.... a couple of parents thought it was great, I mean, who doesnt love wippies??? Anyone can use them#!! One mom, literary told me i was crazy & she would rather have candy.... babies do not need candy!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sam12796
by Sandy on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Interesting idea I did not take my kids out until they were older than 2 years old. I don't think they need it much before that either. However I can see some parents being mad. Of course it was for themselves the candy and all but you shouldn't be the one deciding what they do with their kids either.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 13-month-old, and we didn't go trick-or-treating for the same reason--she doesn't eat candy, so what's the point? Personally, I would have loved the wipes, but that's just me.   :)

Other good TOT things for babies might be small toys......I think it's nice to give something for kids that don't eat candy yet, although most of my friends who have little babies don't take them TOTing.

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I am torn on this one. We always took our baby TOT the first year they could go. I wouldn't have minded getting wipes...and that is your decision....but it sounds like you are telling others what is appropriate. Just curious....when were they "old enough" for candy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zanny
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see your point .. really I can... 

But general common sense states that infants, let's say, under the age of 12 months don't usually eat, or are allowed to have things like Snickers Bars, Hershey Bars, or 100 Thousand Dollar Bars...   The woman who told me I was  crazy had an INFANT... in a Pea Pod Outfit,,,  It had to be less than  6 months old.... 

Tell me, honestly, would you, or do you know anyone that would give their 6 month old baby a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup???

Everyone else I gave wipes to thought it was a fantastic idea, and thoughtful of me to think of the babies....  

It's like the time for my 16th Birthday, one of my not so close friends gave me a box of Tampons,. because she didn't really know me all that well, we had just met... But she wanted to give me something I definitely needed and would most certainly use... and maybe not at that moment, but sometime in the next month, I would REALLY Appreciate... 

Quoting sam12796:

Interesting idea I did not take my kids out until they were older than 2 years old. I don't think they need it much before that either. However I can see some parents being mad. Of course it was for themselves the candy and all but you shouldn't be the one deciding what they do with their kids either.

Zanny
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I'm just going to say.... If they were walking around, like my 2 year old neighbor, or my 16 month old neighbor... I offered them a Lollypop...   

I'm not even going to apologize for giving the Littles Age Appropriate treats...  My thought is.. if you want candy, go buy it... Trick or Treating is for the kids... 

Quoting Ktina11:

I am torn on this one. We always took our baby TOT the first year they could go. I wouldn't have minded getting wipes...and that is your decision....but it sounds like you are telling others what is appropriate. Just curious....when were they "old enough" for candy?

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the mom probably wanted the candy so she could eat it herself. Which is her right, I suppose, but not really the point of trick-or-treating. Personally, I've never understood adults who go TOTing so they can eat the candy themselves. If you want a Reese's cup that badly, go to the corner store and buy one for fifty cents!

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
No but she eats candy.

But I like that idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Yeah, I think it is crazy to take a baby trick or treating unless you're taking older children too.  My daughter didn't dress in costume or go trick or treating until she was 3.

Quoting sam12796:

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I don't see the big deal with babies trick-or-treating. 

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand...really I do. To me it was never about the candy. It was about the memory and pictures of their first time TOT.

Quoting Zanny:

I'm just going to say.... If they were walking around, like my 2 year old neighbor, or my 16 month old neighbor... I offered them a Lollypop...   

I'm not even going to apologize for giving the Littles Age Appropriate treats...  My thought is.. if you want candy, go buy it... Trick or Treating is for the kids... 

Quoting Ktina11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)