Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Girls playing football what the heck

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you let your 9 year old DD play football if she truly wanted to play with the boys?

Options:

yes

no

other please explane

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 279

View Results

I like to read the yahoo news and I seen one and I wanted to see what you guys think.

Sam Gordon scored 25 touchdowns in her first season of tackle football. (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)

It started as a way for an 8-year-old girl to keep up with her big brother.

Sam Gordon just wanted to run with the older kids. The coaches in the local tackle football league figured, hey, why not? Maybe they could turn it into a drill: Who can outrun Max's little sister?

They were shocked to find the answer: no one.

Sam Gordon, now 9, became one of the fastest kids this Salt Lake City area "Gremlins" league had ever seen. They put her in drills and she outran boys two years older. They allowed her into the "Sharks and Minnows" game and stared in awe at not only at her speed, but her ability to move like a tailback.

"She could cut and follow blocks like a college football player," says her coach, Chris Staib.

Staib hatched a plan: His team was drafting seventh out of nine. He wanted to pick the girl. So he started talking her down, suggesting she would get hurt. The other coaches bought it, and with his first selection he chose Sam Gordon.

"You dog!" they howled.

Staib just laughed. Sam ended up running for 25 touchdowns and 10 conversions (no PATs at this level) in her first season playing tackle football. She earned the nickname "Sweet Feet" – a modern-day Rudy Huxtable – and a breathtaking viral video in which she looks so fast that you have to wonder if it's real.

"Oh it's real," says Staib. "That's her. I was there for all of that."

It may be real, but is it appropriate? This is a 9-year-old girl playing against bigger, stronger boys. She even had a trainer who put her through agility drills and plyometrics. Gordon is not even 60 pounds, and there's a kid on her team who weighs more than 150. (His nickname: Tank.) In an era of concussions and frequent ACL tears, it's fair to ask: What are the adults thinking?

Sam's dad, Brent, admits his daughter had an adjustment issue at first. "She had a little bit of a struggle," he said Tuesday in a phone interview from his Idaho law office. "The team lost a couple of games. Since she was the primary ball carrier, she felt a lot of pressure to win. She felt blame for losing."

His solution was the video, telling Sam not to worry about the end result but rather each play. "Get me some highlights," he told her. He says it helped.

And what about the tackling? There are some fairly vicious hits on this video.

"I started her out in soccer at 4 years old and we would play out in the yard," Brent explains. "And my son's friends were pretty aggressive and rough. She could really handle a lot of the physical play. There were some games where she'd fall down and just keep going. She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."

Sam Gordon (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)Staib doesn't hesitate when asked about the hitting. He says Sam loves to tackle and even goes after Tank whenever she gets the chance. He's not worried. Brent says only once did Sam get shaken up from a hit. She came out of the game, rested for a few plays, then returned to score a touchdown.

"Some kids, right before the contact, they stop," Sam told her father. "I don't. I just hit 'em." "That's not something I taught her, "Brent says.

A lot of people won't accept a 9-year-old girl playing tackle football, and perhaps with good reason. But it seems Sam loves it. Her dad and coach say she has no hesitation about coming back for another season. And her dad admits he's overwhelmed with pride, even though (or maybe especially because) he was no star athlete.

"With Sam, I keep questioning myself," he says. "Am I trying to make it something it's not because I'm her dad? I asked my brother, 'OK, am I just being a crazy dad here? Or is this really cool?' "

Maybe it's a little of one and a lot of the other. But what started as little Sam trying to keep up with her brother is now dozens of older boys trying to keep up with her.

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (161-170):
christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Yeah I get that.

Yeah, here we have sports where kids can go on to play professionally or semi professionally. I don't think we have a single sport hat kids can play that would have to begin and end with just a city team.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

its a small town in oklahoma. its parks and recreation. i do not give out my town online because its so small it would be easy for creepos to find my family. however, yes, coed goes through18 yrs. then picks back up at adult ages after 21. we would keep the ages in between going, but most people leave for college at that time so theres not enough interest. i myself played co ed my entire life until a few yrs ago.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

i said no but I wouldn't let my ds play either and he's 10

it helps that neither have the desire too, but I'm not a football fan and don't want to be, i don't care for the danger and rough physical nature of the game and don't really want  my kids to be a part of it

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

"Ahh..I Guess I didn't realize(or think you even would have) met your husband before the age of 11. My bad. "

here you assume that she had to have met her DH as a child.

"Really. Where is that? I would be curious to see how thats set up. 

Here boys and girls play baseball co ed, but not softball. Since boys are not allowed into competitive softball on the AAU level or the College level. But girls can...though they don't..play baseball. so it seems almost silly to start a boy in softball. "

Here you say you want to see how it is set up so I gave you links to look up how adult men and coed softball teams work. You also state that it "seems almost silly to start a boy in softball". BTW there is also a mens PRO softball league. (MLSA)  

Quoting christina0607:

Are you always this obtuse? Seriously? No where did I say there were no adult co ed softball teams.

I spoke about 3 kinds of softball teams

1. olympic

2.AAU

3.Childhood

Thats it.

I don't know what conversation you are having....but seriously try reading, and comprehending. It may help you.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

and you assumed that the woman met her hubby as a CHILD because you don't seem to think there are ADULT coed teams. I am showing you some and how they are set up. (You can read the rules on those pages.)

Quoting christina0607:

Right...you seem to be extremely confused about what my original statement said. Highly  confused. I don't know what to tell you.

Here I got rid of everything alse...to maybe help you? I don't know.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

here is another ault COED softball team.

http://www.emaaconline.com/

Quoting christina0607:

There are some sports that men can not play. Olympic softball and aau softball do not allow boys or men. I'm not so sure about childhood softball, I've never heard of a boy playing it. Also there is synchronized swimming...only for women.

For information please click the ribbon. 

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Riiiggghhhttt...because I had said I don't know about childhood softball.

Because thats the conversation we were having. Did you even try to read it?

BTW...she understood that, maybe because we were having that conversation and she was reading it?

I don't know what to tell you. Either read everything people write...or don't comment. When you pick and choose certain words you come off as ignorant.

Oh and yes...she did meet her husband as a child. And like I said...I didn't realize that. You know, because I don't know her.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

"Ahh..I Guess I didn't realize(or think you even would have) met your husband before the age of 11. My bad. "

Here boys and girls play baseball co ed, but not softball. Since boys are not allowed into competitive softball on the AAU level or the College level. But girls can...though they don't..play baseball. so it seems almost silly to start a boy in softball. "

Here you say you want to see how it is set up so I gave you links to look up how adult men and coed softball teams work. You also state that it "seems almost silly to start a boy in softball". BTW there is also a mens PRO softball league. (MLSA)  

Quoting christina0607:

Are you always this obtuse? Seriously? No where did I say there were no adult co ed softball teams.

I spoke about 3 kinds of softball teams

1. olympic

2.AAU

3.Childhood

Thats it.

I don't know what conversation you are having....but seriously try reading, and comprehending. It may help you.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

and you assumed that the woman met her hubby as a CHILD because you don't seem to think there are ADULT coed teams. I am showing you some and how they are set up. (You can read the rules on those pages.)

Quoting christina0607:

Right...you seem to be extremely confused about what my original statement said. Highly  confused. I don't know what to tell you.

Here I got rid of everything alse...to maybe help you? I don't know.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

here is another ault COED softball team.

http://www.emaaconline.com/

Quoting christina0607:

There are some sports that men can not play. Olympic softball and aau softball do not allow boys or men. I'm not so sure about childhood softball, I've never heard of a boy playing it. Also there is synchronized swimming...only for women.

christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

WE WERE NEVER TALKING ABOUT ADULT SOFTBALL.

I seriously don't know what your deal is....but really, get a grip.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Of course!

mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM

kids have been picked up for college teams off the parks and rec teams. it gets just as competitive as the traveling teams and school affiliated teams. they even often play against each other.

Quoting christina0607:

Yeah I get that.

Yeah, here we have sports where kids can go on to play professionally or semi professionally. I don't think we have a single sport hat kids can play that would have to begin and end with just a city team.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

its a small town in oklahoma. its parks and recreation. i do not give out my town online because its so small it would be easy for creepos to find my family. however, yes, coed goes through18 yrs. then picks back up at adult ages after 21. we would keep the ages in between going, but most people leave for college at that time so theres not enough interest. i myself played co ed my entire life until a few yrs ago.

mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

lol for the record i was never angry or defensive. wow... i didnt think anyone would pick our conversation up and run with it like that lmao.

Quoting christina0607:

WE WERE NEVER TALKING ABOUT ADULT SOFTBALL.

I seriously don't know what your deal is....but really, get a grip.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
If girls want to play football they need to make a girl's league. Girls shouldn't play football against boys. All girl sports are played again other girls. Of course this is highly unlikely because most girls do not want to be tackled and thrown in the mud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Do colleges have male softball leagues? I think if any do it's not a competitive team. I don't think there is a male competitive college level softball program.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

kids have been picked up for college teams off the parks and rec teams. it gets just as competitive as the traveling teams and school affiliated teams. they even often play against each other.

Quoting christina0607:

Yeah I get that.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)