Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Girls playing football what the heck

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you let your 9 year old DD play football if she truly wanted to play with the boys?

Options:

yes

no

other please explane

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 279

View Results

I like to read the yahoo news and I seen one and I wanted to see what you guys think.

Sam Gordon scored 25 touchdowns in her first season of tackle football. (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)

It started as a way for an 8-year-old girl to keep up with her big brother.

Sam Gordon just wanted to run with the older kids. The coaches in the local tackle football league figured, hey, why not? Maybe they could turn it into a drill: Who can outrun Max's little sister?

They were shocked to find the answer: no one.

Sam Gordon, now 9, became one of the fastest kids this Salt Lake City area "Gremlins" league had ever seen. They put her in drills and she outran boys two years older. They allowed her into the "Sharks and Minnows" game and stared in awe at not only at her speed, but her ability to move like a tailback.

"She could cut and follow blocks like a college football player," says her coach, Chris Staib.

Staib hatched a plan: His team was drafting seventh out of nine. He wanted to pick the girl. So he started talking her down, suggesting she would get hurt. The other coaches bought it, and with his first selection he chose Sam Gordon.

"You dog!" they howled.

Staib just laughed. Sam ended up running for 25 touchdowns and 10 conversions (no PATs at this level) in her first season playing tackle football. She earned the nickname "Sweet Feet" – a modern-day Rudy Huxtable – and a breathtaking viral video in which she looks so fast that you have to wonder if it's real.

"Oh it's real," says Staib. "That's her. I was there for all of that."

It may be real, but is it appropriate? This is a 9-year-old girl playing against bigger, stronger boys. She even had a trainer who put her through agility drills and plyometrics. Gordon is not even 60 pounds, and there's a kid on her team who weighs more than 150. (His nickname: Tank.) In an era of concussions and frequent ACL tears, it's fair to ask: What are the adults thinking?

Sam's dad, Brent, admits his daughter had an adjustment issue at first. "She had a little bit of a struggle," he said Tuesday in a phone interview from his Idaho law office. "The team lost a couple of games. Since she was the primary ball carrier, she felt a lot of pressure to win. She felt blame for losing."

His solution was the video, telling Sam not to worry about the end result but rather each play. "Get me some highlights," he told her. He says it helped.

And what about the tackling? There are some fairly vicious hits on this video.

"I started her out in soccer at 4 years old and we would play out in the yard," Brent explains. "And my son's friends were pretty aggressive and rough. She could really handle a lot of the physical play. There were some games where she'd fall down and just keep going. She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."

Sam Gordon (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)Staib doesn't hesitate when asked about the hitting. He says Sam loves to tackle and even goes after Tank whenever she gets the chance. He's not worried. Brent says only once did Sam get shaken up from a hit. She came out of the game, rested for a few plays, then returned to score a touchdown.

"Some kids, right before the contact, they stop," Sam told her father. "I don't. I just hit 'em." "That's not something I taught her, "Brent says.

A lot of people won't accept a 9-year-old girl playing tackle football, and perhaps with good reason. But it seems Sam loves it. Her dad and coach say she has no hesitation about coming back for another season. And her dad admits he's overwhelmed with pride, even though (or maybe especially because) he was no star athlete.

"With Sam, I keep questioning myself," he says. "Am I trying to make it something it's not because I'm her dad? I asked my brother, 'OK, am I just being a crazy dad here? Or is this really cool?' "

Maybe it's a little of one and a lot of the other. But what started as little Sam trying to keep up with her brother is now dozens of older boys trying to keep up with her.

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (171-180):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I believe our local school will only allow girls to be kickers. They can't play the tougher positions once you get into upper grades

Quoting jhslove:

I would at that age, because at 9 years old girls and boys are often similar in size and strength.

When she gets older, and there's a more significant difference in strength and build, and a much more significant chance of a serious injury in a position like QB or running back, I think I would be more cautious. It would probably depend on the position.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I knew that...I really have no idea where she was coming from.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

lol for the record i was never angry or defensive. wow... i didnt think anyone would pick our conversation up and run with it like that lmao.

Quoting christina0607:

WE WERE NEVER TALKING ABOUT ADULT SOFTBALL.

I seriously don't know what your deal is....but really, get a grip.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

"Ahh..I Guess I didn't realize(or think you even would have) met your husband before the age of 11. My bad. "

here you assume that she had to have met her DH as a child.

"Really. Where is that? I would be curious to see how thats set up. 

Here boys and girls play baseball co ed, but not softball. Since boys are not allowed into competitive softball on the AAU level or the College level. But girls can...though they don't..play baseball. so it seems almost silly to start a boy in softball. "

Here you say you want to see how it is set up so I gave you links to look up how adult men and coed softball teams work. You also state that it "seems almost silly to start a boy in softball". BTW there is also a mens PRO softball league. (MLSA)  

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

i honestly do not know. i have had no reason to follow boys softball or baseball. my baby sister however was just telling me the other day that she's got a full ride scholorship on the way for softball and she's hoping to go pro.

Quoting christina0607:

Do colleges have male softball leagues? I think if any do it's not a competitive team. I don't think there is a male competitive college level softball program.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

kids have been picked up for college teams off the parks and rec teams. it gets just as competitive as the traveling teams and school affiliated teams. they even often play against each other.

Quoting christina0607:

Yeah I get that.

Yeah, here we have sports where kids can go on to play professionally or semi professionally. I don't think we have a single sport hat kids can play that would have to begin and end with just a city team.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

its a small town in oklahoma. its parks and recreation. i do not give out my town online because its so small it would be easy for creepos to find my family. however, yes, coed goes through18 yrs. then picks back up at adult ages after 21. we would keep the ages in between going, but most people leave for college at that time so theres not enough interest. i myself played co ed my entire life until a few yrs ago.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

meh, its cafemom. people like to make mountains out of molehills on here lmao.

Quoting christina0607:

I knew that...I really have no idea where she was coming from.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

lol for the record i was never angry or defensive. wow... i didnt think anyone would pick our conversation up and run with it like that lmao.

Quoting christina0607:

WE WERE NEVER TALKING ABOUT ADULT SOFTBALL.

I seriously don't know what your deal is....but really, get a grip.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

"Ahh..I Guess I didn't realize(or think you even would have) met your husband before the age of 11. My bad. "

here you assume that she had to have met her DH as a child.

"Really. Where is that? I would be curious to see how thats set up. 

Here boys and girls play baseball co ed, but not softball. Since boys are not allowed into competitive softball on the AAU level or the College level. But girls can...though they don't..play baseball. so it seems almost silly to start a boy in softball. "

Here you say you want to see how it is set up so I gave you links to look up how adult men and coed softball teams work. You also state that it "seems almost silly to start a boy in softball". BTW there is also a mens PRO softball league. (MLSA)  

christina0607
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I do follow college baseball and fastpitch softball(though only locally for the SB) Mostly because my son plays AAU baseball, so we do travel and play at a highly competitive level.So being an amateur athlete himself he is always looking onto the next level. But we watch the little league world series and follow that closely, then see where the kids go after that.

i honestly do not know. i have had no reason to follow boys softball or baseball. my baby sister however was just telling me the other day that she's got a full ride scholorship on the way for softball and she's hoping to go pro.

Quoting christina0607:

Do colleges have male softball leagues? I think if any do it's not a competitive team. I don't think there is a male competitive college level softball program.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

kids have been picked up for college teams off the parks and rec teams. it gets just as competitive as the traveling teams and school affiliated teams. they even often play against each other.

Quoting christina0607:

Yeah I get that.

Yeah, here we have sports where kids can go on to play professionally or semi professionally. I don't think we have a single sport hat kids can play that would have to begin and end with just a city team.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

its a small town in oklahoma. its parks and recreation. i do not give out my town online because its so small it would be easy for creepos to find my family. however, yes, coed goes through18 yrs. then picks back up at adult ages after 21. we would keep the ages in between going, but most people leave for college at that time so theres not enough interest. i myself played co ed my entire life until a few yrs ago.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

cool. good luck to him.

Quoting christina0607:

I do follow college baseball and fastpitch softball(though only locally for the SB) Mostly because my son plays AAU baseball, so we do travel and play at a highly competitive level.So being an amateur athlete himself he is always looking onto the next level. But we watch the little league world series and follow that closely, then see where the kids go after that.

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting christina0607:

Yeah I get that.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

demonica29
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I am not sure I would let any 9 year old child of mine play tackle football. However, I would be no more or less likely to allow them to play based on gender.
shyone_91786
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Nope that first part is wrong it has already been proven that men can breastfeed too. A man in Inda started BF his baby he developed milk they already have the glands.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I can't believe how many sexist fools there are on here. Women and Men can do almost anything the other can do (the exceptions being breastfeeding, getting a woman pregnant, having a baby, and having a period.)

Nikki286
by Nicoli on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Good for her if its what she wants let her seems like she can handle herself just fine

MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I also think it gives this girls team an unfair advantage. The girl stated herself that when the boys get to her they just stop, like they don't know if they should tackle her or not. I mean here we are instilling in our boys that under no circumstances are they to hit a girl or be aggressive towards a girl and yet there is one on the football field? It gives them mixed signals in my opinion. Its like girls who wrestle. At one of my nephews first wrestling matches last year he went up against a girl and was quite embarassed. NOT because she was a girl but he had no idea what to do or where to even put his hands!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN