Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Girls playing football what the heck

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you let your 9 year old DD play football if she truly wanted to play with the boys?

Options:

yes

no

other please explane

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 279

View Results

I like to read the yahoo news and I seen one and I wanted to see what you guys think.

Sam Gordon scored 25 touchdowns in her first season of tackle football. (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)

It started as a way for an 8-year-old girl to keep up with her big brother.

Sam Gordon just wanted to run with the older kids. The coaches in the local tackle football league figured, hey, why not? Maybe they could turn it into a drill: Who can outrun Max's little sister?

They were shocked to find the answer: no one.

Sam Gordon, now 9, became one of the fastest kids this Salt Lake City area "Gremlins" league had ever seen. They put her in drills and she outran boys two years older. They allowed her into the "Sharks and Minnows" game and stared in awe at not only at her speed, but her ability to move like a tailback.

"She could cut and follow blocks like a college football player," says her coach, Chris Staib.

Staib hatched a plan: His team was drafting seventh out of nine. He wanted to pick the girl. So he started talking her down, suggesting she would get hurt. The other coaches bought it, and with his first selection he chose Sam Gordon.

"You dog!" they howled.

Staib just laughed. Sam ended up running for 25 touchdowns and 10 conversions (no PATs at this level) in her first season playing tackle football. She earned the nickname "Sweet Feet" – a modern-day Rudy Huxtable – and a breathtaking viral video in which she looks so fast that you have to wonder if it's real.

"Oh it's real," says Staib. "That's her. I was there for all of that."

It may be real, but is it appropriate? This is a 9-year-old girl playing against bigger, stronger boys. She even had a trainer who put her through agility drills and plyometrics. Gordon is not even 60 pounds, and there's a kid on her team who weighs more than 150. (His nickname: Tank.) In an era of concussions and frequent ACL tears, it's fair to ask: What are the adults thinking?

Sam's dad, Brent, admits his daughter had an adjustment issue at first. "She had a little bit of a struggle," he said Tuesday in a phone interview from his Idaho law office. "The team lost a couple of games. Since she was the primary ball carrier, she felt a lot of pressure to win. She felt blame for losing."

His solution was the video, telling Sam not to worry about the end result but rather each play. "Get me some highlights," he told her. He says it helped.

And what about the tackling? There are some fairly vicious hits on this video.

"I started her out in soccer at 4 years old and we would play out in the yard," Brent explains. "And my son's friends were pretty aggressive and rough. She could really handle a lot of the physical play. There were some games where she'd fall down and just keep going. She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."

Sam Gordon (Courtesy of Brent Gordon)Staib doesn't hesitate when asked about the hitting. He says Sam loves to tackle and even goes after Tank whenever she gets the chance. He's not worried. Brent says only once did Sam get shaken up from a hit. She came out of the game, rested for a few plays, then returned to score a touchdown.

"Some kids, right before the contact, they stop," Sam told her father. "I don't. I just hit 'em." "That's not something I taught her, "Brent says.

A lot of people won't accept a 9-year-old girl playing tackle football, and perhaps with good reason. But it seems Sam loves it. Her dad and coach say she has no hesitation about coming back for another season. And her dad admits he's overwhelmed with pride, even though (or maybe especially because) he was no star athlete.

"With Sam, I keep questioning myself," he says. "Am I trying to make it something it's not because I'm her dad? I asked my brother, 'OK, am I just being a crazy dad here? Or is this really cool?' "

Maybe it's a little of one and a lot of the other. But what started as little Sam trying to keep up with her brother is now dozens of older boys trying to keep up with her.

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (181-190):
Charweba
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM

If it is footbal outside to have fun with the guys in the neighborhood sure, but no tackleing. Playing footbal like this girl?? Nope wouldn't let my dd do that.

LaughingTattoo
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I, and DH, will support our children in anything and EVERYTHING they do.PERIOD. We would never dream of crushing our childs spirit or dreams bc of our own insecurities or societies pre-concieved and ill-informed notions.

MommaTasha1003
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Are you saying a boy thats is about 60lbs can take that same hit better than she can? Is she more fragile JUST because she is a girl?..... Anything a boy can do a girl can do....

Im guessing she is not -40 than all the players on the team!?

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

So should girls never box, wrestle, do ANY form of martial art, or play ANY coed sport that involves touching a girl?

Quoting MandaRose83:

I also think it gives this girls team an unfair advantage. The girl stated herself that when the boys get to her they just stop, like they don't know if they should tackle her or not. I mean here we are instilling in our boys that under no circumstances are they to hit a girl or be aggressive towards a girl and yet there is one on the football field? It gives them mixed signals in my opinion. Its like girls who wrestle. At one of my nephews first wrestling matches last year he went up against a girl and was quite embarassed. NOT because she was a girl but he had no idea what to do or where to even put his hands!

For information please click the ribbon. 

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

For those who think foot ball is so "tough" and mean should check out Rugby!

MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Not against a man, No. Thats what I believe. Men are scientifically proven to be physically stronger. You are going to find very few men who would feel comfortable with tackling,wrestling, boxing a woman component and its because we have taught them that being aggressive towards a woman is wrong but all of a sudden its okay? 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

So should girls never box, wrestle, do ANY form of martial art, or play ANY coed sport that involves touching a girl?

Quoting MandaRose83:

I also think it gives this girls team an unfair advantage. The girl stated herself that when the boys get to her they just stop, like they don't know if they should tackle her or not. I mean here we are instilling in our boys that under no circumstances are they to hit a girl or be aggressive towards a girl and yet there is one on the football field? It gives them mixed signals in my opinion. Its like girls who wrestle. At one of my nephews first wrestling matches last year he went up against a girl and was quite embarassed. NOT because she was a girl but he had no idea what to do or where to even put his hands!

MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I think girls should be able to do anything that they want and not be limited because of some sterotype on their gender. If I had a daughter who wanted to play tackle/touch football, I would absolutely let her. I would encourage her to do anything and everything she wanted and to not let herself be stifled by the needs to conform society's "traditional" gender roles.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Sure. My dd cheers for the 6th grade team at her school and there is a girl on it. She good too!

MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

All the more reason for a girl to participate in those sports. I'm trained in marital arts, tae kwon do, and jiu jitsu, and one of the first things I was taught was how to use your opponents strength (i.e. a man) against them. There's no point in a girl participating in those activities if she 's not going to be truly challenged, and a girl has every right to learn and participate in those activities, especially in areas as boxing and marital arts which teaches self-defense skills.

Quoting MandaRose83:

Not against a man, No. Thats what I believe. Men are scientifically proven to be physically stronger. 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Quoting MandaRose83:

MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

And any man who steps up and says "yea I can't wait to beat this bitch down" is a tool. You will find very few men who would be comfortable with being that aggressive towards a woman. They WILL hold back so its not really a true fight is it? Martial Arts may be a little different because its a "staged" environment. Football on the other hand is not. You have no idea how intense ALOT of these football dads are and there's no way they would "allow" their son to get shown up by a girl. TRUST me, these jerks would be gunning to take the girl out. I have seen it happen before!

Quoting MsRkg:

All the more reason for a girl to participate in those sports. I'm trained in marital arts, tae kwon do, and jiu jitsu, and one of the first things I was taught was how to use your opponents strength (i.e. a man) against them. There's no point in a girl participating in those activities if she 's not going to be truly challenged, and a girl has every right to learn and participate in those activities, especially in areas as boxing and marital arts which teaches self-defense skills.

Quoting MandaRose83:

Not against a man, No. Thats what I believe. Men are scientifically proven to be physically stronger. 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Quoting MandaRose83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)