Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

PTSD from c section

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 5 Replies
I had my first baby almost 8 weeks ago. I wanted a natural birth but ended up in a csection due to my water breaking and no dilation or effacement within 48 hours. It wasn't an emergency one. But when they decided to do it I was so scared because I never had surgery in my life. I was crying, sobbing, shaking all the way into the o.r. And was out of my mind frightened. I had my first panic attack in the recovery room and the next day my o.b. came in and said I have anxiety they noticed it last night so get treatment...everything was fine but three weeks ago I started always thinking I won't be here to see my baby grow up, i will die soon..I get panic attacks thinking I'm having a heart attack. If I get a pain in my head I think it is a brain tumor or aneurysm exploding. Idk why but I fear for no reason. I guess I'm a hypochondriac. My dr suggested it was PTSD from the c section..
Any advice ladies? Any ne experience these feelings before? Thanks
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I had an emergency C-section and one planned one and didn't have any issues, but if you're already prone to anxiety and/or panic attacks, or you're unnaturally afraid of the procedure, I can see how it would've been more traumatic than necessary and cause PTSD. You should talk to a shrink about what you're dealing with so you can learn to cope with all of your fears and anxiety.

**Chat with us ANONYMOUSLY!**

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Thanks, IDK why but i have just become such a hypochondriac...i went to the dr the other day and he put me on buspar, but i havent taken it i just hope if I go to a shrink that specializes in CBT maybe itll help me get over it without going on meds. Its getting less and less each day, like the begining i had the baby blues pretty bad and panic attacks, that went away now the panic attacks arent any more and slowly this is stopping so, maybe it could be my hormones? My mom has a pituitary tumor and a brain aneurysm, i found out aneurysms can be hereditary and have been scaring myself so badly but was happy to hear my moms was caused by her tumor and her case wasnt hereditary, so...since then i havent been worrying and so on. so anyways, i hope its going away if not by the mid-end of next week if i see it flares up again i will call someone.

Thanks for your response!

Quoting bamababe1975:

I had an emergency C-section and one planned one and didn't have any issues, but if you're already prone to anxiety and/or panic attacks, or you're unnaturally afraid of the procedure, I can see how it would've been more traumatic than necessary and cause PTSD. You should talk to a shrink about what you're dealing with so you can learn to cope with all of your fears and anxiety.

**Chat with us ANONYMOUSLY!**

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I had a panic attack during the c section. DH cant touch my stomach or my heart starts beating like crazy. Since I will have to have another c section the thought of getting pregnant again scares the crap out of me. I use as many different BC's as I possibly can. It could very well be PTSD.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Why do you have to hve another c section??

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I had a panic attack during the c section. DH cant touch my stomach or my heart starts beating like crazy. Since I will have to have another c section the thought of getting pregnant again scares the crap out of me. I use as many different BC's as I possibly can. It could very well be PTSD.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I not only can not go into labor on my own but I cant push out a baby.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Why do you have to hve another c section??

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)