Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you agree with taxes being raised on households making 250k and above?

Posted by   + Show Post

Basically, because a person makes more money, they should pay more than anyone else...do you agree? Why or why not?

Gross income of less than 100k pays 35% in taxes

Over 100k pays a little more than 35% in taxes, but I can't remember the exact percentage.

Over 250K pays 40% in taxes

juggling

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
jridgill
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I agree.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I'm actually in favor of a flat tax percentage across the board, no deductions, no filing, unless you get a 1099 and no refunds, for anyone!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
There should be a flat tax for everyone.
sarah824
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the tax rate should be the same for everyone. If I make X and you make Y then the percentage should be the same regardless of the actual amount.

heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM
7 moms liked this

Actually, yes, I agree with it. It's not fair, but our economy can't survive a flat-rate tax. The people in the lower brackets would struggle to feed their families if their taxes were raised to the level of the upper brackets. And if the wealthy's taxes were lowered to the same amount as the lower brackets, our government would go bankrupt. If you think our national debt is bad now, just wait 'till you see what it would look like if they stopped collecting as much taxes. In fact, I think our government should go further than just taxing the wealthy at a higher rate than the poor/middle-income, I think they should close all those loopholes that allow the uber-wealthy to get away with paying less than 10%.

Sat.Wed
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM
How is that fair? Flat Tax is not the answer either, the tax code as a whole NEEDS revamped

Quoting sarah824:

I think the tax rate should be the same for everyone. If I make X and you make Y then the percentage should be the same regardless of the actual amount.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
As a poor person, I see it as the only way we can get out of debt. My household makes 24k gross. If we taxed everyone at a flat rate, it would have to be close to 20% not including things like sdi, and all those other things you get deducted from your checks. For those making 100k and up, it's not much of a problem because 75-80k is for most suburban areas, enough to live on. If you taxed us at that same rate, there's no way we could live even with foodstamps. We don't have a car payment either. $4,800 dollars for those living at our income level is 6 months of rent. We cannot live without it.

That is why a flat tax would have to have a floor, otherwise, most of what's paid out gets returned anyway in welfare. What's the point? It's extra cost to the state to pay people to process the welfare.

But everyone lives by economies of scale. For me, 80k would be easy street. I don't have cable, Internet or a car payment. My phone is paid by my parents because otherwise I wouldn't have a phone. They got me an iPhone so I could have phone and Internet.

For someone who makes more and has cable, Internet, mortgage, car pmt, student loans, credit cards, other monthly debts, 80k may be paycheck to paycheck. But many of those can be downsized in favor of necessities. It seems unfair that making 100k they should, I agree, but taxes are an obligation too. It's not fair you have a 3k mortgage and I pay 835 in rent, but that's your obligation.

The higher you get in income, the less bad I feel. If you make 250k and you can't live on 200k, there's something very wrong. Jmo. That's 10 years worth of what we earn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Yes, absolutely, I agree with this.  

AlekD
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Why should people who make more pay a higher percentage than those who make less? How is THAT fair?

If you make $100,000 and I make $200,000 and the percentage is 35% then I will automatically pay more because I made more. Seems fair to me! 

Quoting Sat.Wed:

How is that fair? Flat Tax is not the answer either, the tax code as a whole NEEDS revamped

Quoting sarah824:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)