Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you agree with taxes being raised on households making 250k and above?

Posted by   + Show Post

Basically, because a person makes more money, they should pay more than anyone else...do you agree? Why or why not?

Gross income of less than 100k pays 35% in taxes

Over 100k pays a little more than 35% in taxes, but I can't remember the exact percentage.

Over 250K pays 40% in taxes

juggling

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
bellawomen
by Summer on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I don't know any of my husband's family that pay 40% in taxes thats for damn sure.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

How is it NOT fair?  She's not asking if they should all pay the same amount dollar-wise.  She asking if they should all pay the same percentage. 

Those who earn more would pay more dollar-wise even though the percentage is the same.  If the percentage is 20%, then someone making $20,000/year would pay $4,000/year in taxes.  Someone making $200,000/year would pay $40,000/year in taxes.

That seems pretty fair to me.  What DOESN'T seem fair is 42% of working adults not being obligated to pay taxes at all.

Quoting Sat.Wed:

How is that fair? Flat Tax is not the answer either...
heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, sorry, it still wouldn't be fair. There's a REASON the lower XX% doesn't pay taxes. THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO! Sure, 20% might suck for someone making $100k+ every year, but it would cripple a family making $50k or less. The idea that everyone is talking about taking from the poor to avoid taking from the rich so things can be "fair" is seriously making my skin crawl.

Quoting moneysaver6:

If there truly were a flat-tax where everyone paid the same percentage, say 20%, then our government would actually be getting MORE money and would be doing BETTER.  Those in the upper income who skirt by with a lower percentage wouldn't be allowed to do so and the 42% who currently don't pay any taxes would actually start paying THEIR fair share.  For once.

jynkx
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

no i dont think its right.  we should all pay the same percentage.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM
No I don't agree with extra taxes for those who make 250k, its almost like a punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM
I agree except for the refund part if you pay in more throughout the year than u owe in taxes u should get that money back in a refund. Dh over pays just incase cause we would much rather get the overage back when we file then have to pay more

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I'm actually in favor of a flat tax percentage across the board, no deductions, no filing, unless you get a 1099 and no refunds, for anyone!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM
4 moms liked this

Of course we know taxes are all about percentage, that's not the argument. The argument (giving the example you provided), $4k per year for a family who only makes $20k is HUGE. Not just huge, but totally un-doable for ANY cost of living area. $4k for you might not seem like such a huge deal, but is when you only make $20k. And the fact that you think $4k isn't a big deal is the exact reason we have tax brackets. The more you make, the more you can afford to pay. The same people who complain about paying $40k in taxes are the same people who can walk through a grocery store and buy a weeks worth of groceries without a list or a calculator and not worry about being embarrassed at the register for having your check card bounce. For most low-income families making $20k, that $4k you think they should be obligated to pay.........that's a whole year's worth of groceries for them.

Quoting moneysaver6:

How is it NOT fair?  She's not asking if they should all pay the same amount dollar-wise.  She asking if they should all pay the same percentage. 

Those who earn more would pay more dollar-wise even though the percentage is the same.  If the percentage is 20%, then someone making $20,000/year would pay $4,000/year in taxes.  Someone making $200,000/year would pay $40,000/year in taxes.

That seems pretty fair to me.  What DOESN'T seem fair is 42% of working adults not being obligated to pay taxes at all.

Quoting Sat.Wed:

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

She's not saying that the DOLLAR AMOUNT would be the same, but that the PERCENTAGE would be the same.

What that means is that each person pays the same percentage of their income to taxes.  If the flat tax rate is 20%, it would look like this:

• A person making $20,000 would pay $4,000/year in taxes.
  • A person making $40,000 would pay $8,000/year in taxes.
  • A person making $60,000 would pay $12,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $80,000 would pay $16,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $100,000 would pay $20,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $150,000 would pay $30,000/year in taxes
  • A person mkaing $200,000 would pay $40,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $250,000 would pay $50,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $500,000 would pay $100,000/year in taxes
  • A person making $1,000,000 would pay $200,000/year in taxes

I fail to see how that's unfair.

Quoting Sat.Wed:

IF the rate is the same then NO your not paying more.
Quoting sarah824:

Why should people who make more pay a higher percentage than those who make less? How is THAT fair?

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I haven't seen ANYONE say that we need to take from the poor to avoid taking from the rich.  They're simply saying that everyone should pay a percentage of their income on taxes.  They're not saying that aid should be taken from those who need it...just that everyone should be paying a portion of their income in taxes.

There's nothing bad or wrong about that. 

Quoting heresjohnny:

Nope, sorry, it still wouldn't be fair. There's a REASON the lower XX% doesn't pay taxes. THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO! Sure, 20% might suck for someone making $100k+ every year, but it would cripple a family making $50k or less. The idea that everyone is talking about taking from the poor to avoid taking from the rich so things can be "fair" is seriously making my skin crawl.

Quoting moneysaver6:

If there truly were a flat-tax where everyone paid the same percentage, say 20%, then our government would actually be getting MORE money and would be doing BETTER.  Those in the upper income who skirt by with a lower percentage wouldn't be allowed to do so and the 42% who currently don't pay any taxes would actually start paying THEIR fair share.  For once.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Actually, yes, percentage is the exact "argument".  The question posed by the OP was whether those who make more should pay a higher percentage.  I don't believe they should. 

Again, the assumption being made is that nothing else changes BUT the new obligation for everyone to pay a percentage of their income in taxes.  If that's the case...

$4,000/year for a family making $20,000 is not as huge as you would make it out to be when you consider that this same family will also be receiving food stamps, free school lunch &/or breakfast, WIC (if they qualify), medicaid for the children, & EIC...at a minimum.  The argument that it's a whole year's worth of groceries is frankly irrelevant because food stamps would be providing for their food.

I'm not sure what I said that would lead you to believe that I didn't think $4,000 was a big deal.  Of COURSE it's a big deal...but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be paid; especially if all currently existing aid is in place that would significantly lessen the burden of that $4,000.  A family of 4 making only $20,000/year would be receiving the maximum amounts of aid available.  Let's not forget that or the impact that will have on their budget. 

Some would argue that the 20% would hurt a whole lot less to someone making $20,000/year and receiving full aid than it would to a family making $40,000/year that would qualify for significantly less aid (if any).

Quoting heresjohnny:

Of course we know taxes are all about percentage, that's not the argument. The argument (giving the example you provided), $4k per year for a family who only makes $20k is HUGE. Not just huge, but totally un-doable for ANY cost of living area. $4k for you might not seem like such a huge deal, but is when you only make $20k. And the fact that you think $4k isn't a big deal is the exact reason we have tax brackets. The more you make, the more you can afford to pay. The same people who complain about paying $40k in taxes are the same people who can walk through a grocery store and buy a weeks worth of groceries without a list or a calculator and not worry about being embarrassed at the register for having your check card bounce. For most low-income families making $20k, that $4k you think they should be obligated to pay.........that's a whole year's worth of groceries for them.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN