Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Adjusting to NOT being a single mom anymore?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been a single mom for eleven years since my oldest dd was born, I also have a 16 month old son. I recently started dating a man who had three children of his own and he wants to help with my kids. I'm kind of a control freak and am having a hard time adjusting to someone helping me. Even little things like bringing in groceries. I'm just so used to doing everything on my own. He gets frustrated because I try not to let him. Is this normal? Any advice on adjusting? Thanks ladies!
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (11-14):
lynzmack
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM
He doesn't discipline my children, he thinks I should. By recent I mean six months and our kids play together and there are two sets of rules. I love him and we've discussed marriage so it's a fair conversation. Also, I didn't post this to be judged so if the advice is criticism I don't need it. I've always moved slow and hesitated to introduce my kids to men or have them involved and that's why I've been single for so long. I deserve a shot at happiness.
lynzmack
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Thank you that is great advice and I agree! It's more the little stuff right now, the discipline is just something we discuss.
FoxFire363
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I had trouble adjusting as well. Even now, almost 7 years later, my DW feels like sometimes I don't let her have enough say with the kids. I have to remind myself often that everything doesn't have to be my way, and to sit back and enjoy not having to do everything myself. 

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

No advice, but good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN