Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

so i went to the dr for my headaches and she thinks they are sinus related and i probably have a sinus infection, I also have a UTI. (yeah me) so she prescribes amoxicillin. so i did some research and geez is no antibiotic safe, every single one has lists miles long of possible adverse reactions. 

although i have never known anyone irl allergic to amox, (plus my sister takes it for her uti's and she likes it). its still worrisome everytime we have to take this kind of stuff. 

no replies needed, especiaslly if you've almost died taking it or something, lol just a small vent

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Replies (61-70):
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

ok! thank you

Quoting notjstasocermom:

i found a webiste for a bunch of home remedies i'll try to find it for you.

Quoting crystalplus1:

Any home remedies for an ear infection and strep throat?

Quoting D.O.E.:

UTI = drink lots of cranberry juice and water.

sinus clogged up, make tea from grated ginger, fresh lemon , honey and some minced garlic.

why anyone takes antibiotics for no reason is beyond me.

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM

ok cool, that sounds a lot better than the apple cider vinegar water i was using. bleh.  I start eating garlic if i feel a bug coming on

Quoting samurai_chica:

YESSSSS!

I have never used antibiotics for strep. Very easy & very yummy!!!

Mix raw lemon juice with honey...just eyeball it. The acidity in the lemon dissolves the honey. The honey pulls out the infection while the lemon kills it.

also, make some warm salt water using pink himalayan salt. This will also kill the infection.

Alternate gargling between the two ALL day long. Like every 1/2 an hour or ever hour. It's best if you do the lemon first, then the salt water afterwards.

I have cured strep in a single day using this technique for my whole family. Everyone in my family has used this & it works wonders. You just have to make sure to stick with it & gargle regularly.

Also, take raw garlic so you can also heal from the inside. Raw garlic is 1000 stronger than any antibiotic out there. I cut it up in small pieces & swallow it like a pill.

For ear infections, mix 1 part alcohol to 1 part apple cider vinagar...let sit in ear for about 5 minutes. Do this throughout the day. It also takes the pain away. This also works...but you have to get it before it's too bad. If the ear infection gets real bad, it will be harder to cure & you may really need antibiotics.

Quoting crystalplus1:

Any home remedies for an ear infection and strep throat?

Quoting D.O.E.:

UTI = drink lots of cranberry juice and water.

sinus clogged up, make tea from grated ginger, fresh lemon , honey and some minced garlic.

why anyone takes antibiotics for no reason is beyond me.

popomill
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Well the company has to list every single possible reaction you can get from the medicine so you can't sue incase something happens. Are getting those reactions possible? Yes. Likely? If you're a healthy person (aside from the uti and sinus infection) then it's doubtful you'll have a reaction. I pretty much lived off amoxicillin and augmention when I was a kid and never had a problem with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Quatrekins
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Wow, that is totally insane. They are abusing antibiotics, and not using them right at all. I mean, there should never be any antibiotics laying around, because you are supposed to take the full course. And they probably badger and berate and moan and bitch at their doctors until they get their meds for a cold. Idiots. I have had antibiotics many, many, many times throughout my life. Always for a good reason though; UTI, BV, Lyme Disease, Abscess...  And all those diseases that used to be catastrophic are relatively harmless with the use of them, for example, Scarlet Fever. DH's Aunt had it in the '50's, she was given antibiotics and made a full recovery with no lingering issues. DH's grandfather on the other hand caught it in the '30's, did not receive antibiotics, and his heart was severely damaged as a result. He wound up having heart surgery when he was only 23, and died a few day later from complications

Quoting samurai_chica:

yes, that is true...but taking antibiotics lowers their immune system even more. Although, i understand that sometimes you have to take it. It just turns into an ugly cycle.

I have a lot of friends who use it for everything...even a common cold. And they are the folks in my life who get sick the most. They will not listen to me....i don't know who their Dr.'s are that they prescribe them antibiotics for a friggen cold...then again, they have so many laying around...as soon as they feel something coming on, they pop an antibiotic. Maybe there are other reasons that they get sick way more than others, but the taking those antibiotics is only making them sick more.

Quoting Quatrekins:

I'm sure there is truth to your statement, but that doesn't negate what I said. Regardless of antibiotic use, everyone's system is different. Some people have lowered immune systems for other reasons.

CafeMom Tickers
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Actually what is the true scary thing of antibiotics is how there over use has led to superbugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I can't help you with your UTI other than to take cranberry capsules daily to help with prevention BUT I had a horrible sinus infection while I was pregnant once.  I BEGGED my OB for some medicine which is a big deal for me because I don't generally like to take medications unless I'm near death.  I FELT near death.  I was so irritated at him because he refused to give me meds.  He told me he wouldn't help me until I did a saline nasal rinse for 3 days.  I have avoided that my entire life but I was so miserable I broke down and did it.  Two rinses later, not two days, two rinses later I could breathe.  Best thing ever.  He said a saline rinse is more effective than antibiotics.  I don't know if you already do them but you should.  Google how to make your own rinse and use a baby bulb syringe.  

Lynette
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

after that cycle of antibiotics do a cycle of probiotics to keep away any bad side effects, heal your gut.

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Coconut oil or colloidal silver will get rid of ear infections.  The great thing about coconut oil is it fights viruses and bacteria so no matter what kind of ear infection you have, it should work.  Coconut oil also gets rid external yeast so you would use it instead of nystatin when a child has yeast on their bottom or if mom has yeast on her breasts while breast feeding.

bebcarroll
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Do not assume that just because there are side effect that you should not be using an entire class of drugs.  Everything has side effects, but sometime the risk of going with out is greater.  Children used to die of things like colds and broncitis all the time before there were antibiotics.  Now, they actually grow up.  Sure, there are side effects and sure they are misused, but I am not going to knock out an entire class of drugs, that are useful and life saving just because some people overreact.  As for allergies, anyone can be allergic to almost anything, the right thing to do is watch for the signs and then go to your doctor if they apper, not refuse to take them.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting Lynette:

after that cycle of antibiotics do a cycle of probiotics to keep away any bad side effects, heal your gut.

what like yogurt?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN