Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Night terrors? Night mares? Or what?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

Used to have issued with DS having night terrors when he was two... now he is 4, well almost 5 and hes almost doing the same thing.  Waking up terrified.  Screaming in fear and looking for me.  At two... it was rolling around, kicking, screaming, punching, etc.  Its different.  He doesnt remember if he had a bad dream or anything.  But i feel terrible for the guy.  I had a horrible dream not too long ago... and now my sister who lives with us is doing the same thing.  Im kind of worried now.  I dont know what to make of this :/  Anyone got anything helpful or suggestions as to what in the heck might be going on???

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

How old is sister?  Have any of you been through stressful times?  That could bring out all the bad stuff at night.

Piskie
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

They're scary, but not dangerous. Most often they don't understand or remember what's going on.

My DD used to have them. The only thing that worked was a soothing voice. No asking questions, she would get very distressed because she couldn't articulate or understand given her mental state at the time.

It'll pass, and most likely they'll grow out of it.

I know they are scary, but they do no harm and they don't remember.

heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

My DS is now 8yo and he's JUST NOW starting to grow out of them. The difference between nightmares and night terrors is they don't remember them. Not only that, but kids usually wake up from a nightmare. With night terrors, they're standing and screaming, but they're still asleep. You can tell from the look in their eyes, and how they answer your questions if you try to talk to them.

Allinorder
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:45 AM
My son got them when he was younger and I was told by a psychiatrist that its caused by anxiety. He said its more common in boys than girls and told me not to worry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN