Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If the cops can talk on cell phones and drive why can't we?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM
  • 7 Replies

Ok, really, I get why they get to do it and regular civilians don't. I just hate the fact that I don't talk on my cell phone because it is a law and then while I'm sitting at a stop sign a cop drives by with a Big mac in one hand and a Cell phone in the other. Doesn't make sense to me. My 4 year old (of whom I've NEVER talked bad about police in front of) apparently knows how this works. We took her to an inflatable fun park that had other things for the kids to do. She was playing with a little boy from her pre-school and when I went to check on her, this is what I found.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM

LOL.  How do we know they are on business calls and not personal?  I can understand their walkie talkie things but not a cell phone.  Somewhere i saw a photo of a police officer on the police motorcycle on a highway , no hands on steering, talking on cell phone or at least it was at his ear.

Oceana09
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM

I got pulled over once for a tail light and forgot that I had forgotten to pay on a fine that I had, so of course I had a warrent out (only time I've ever been arrested and it was for an unpaid fine...ugh) and when they called the jail to see if they wanted them to even bring me in because they were so full that was how they were getting ahold of each other was on cell phones. It was like "really guys?" I just got pulled over for a tail light, I'm being arrested for an unpaid fine, and you're going to drive me to jail and talk on your cell phone to find out if you need to just take me back to my car? Are you kidding?

Quoting frndlyfn:

LOL.  How do we know they are on business calls and not personal?  I can understand their walkie talkie things but not a cell phone.  Somewhere i saw a photo of a police officer on the police motorcycle on a highway , no hands on steering, talking on cell phone or at least it was at his ear.

DeeDee_28
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Because they are "above" the law!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM
A lot of times it is business. I was a police dispatcher for several years and there were a lot of things that I couldn't tell my guys over the radio so I would call their cell and vise versa.
Bonita131
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

The ones that irk me are the ones who turn on their flashing lights, then blast a few whoots of the siren so they can get through the intersection without having to wait for the light to turn green like the rest of us.

Oceana09
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I've seen that before and it drives me nuts. I wish there was a way to report that but of course it would be your word against theirs.

Quoting Bonita131:

The ones that irk me are the ones who turn on their flashing lights, then blast a few whoots of the siren so they can get through the intersection without having to wait for the light to turn green like the rest of us.

yo_ho
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM
I've had a police officer call me on his cell when he was trying to find me as I followed a very unsafe semi. He was on the phone with me for 15 min :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)