Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can someone please explain?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

so, yesterday i heard someone mention "free range parenting" and i'm a bit confused. what is it? my husband I were talking about it last night and he said it sounds like a crock. granted my husband and I are both what most parents consider strict. i dont think i am lol i just have my set ways as he also does. example: beds better be made before you come down in the morning, pick up after yourself, better use your manners, you eat what i make, im the parent so therefore no arguing, homework done as soon as you get home, bedtime is 8:30 pm no matter what (except holidays & when we are visiting family), and do not touch or ask for anything in a store at all. there are more thats just a few lol. but free range sounds to me as if the kids rule the roost.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
alwayskk
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That's not my understanding at all. Free range parents simply expect their kids to be able to make their beds without a parent hovering over them.

busy_momma2
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I like how you parent. This free range parenting sounds like my sister actually. Let the kids do whatever they want. I really don't know what it is but I'm with you, I've got rules my kids have to go by. Sorry I'm no help

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Free range to me is the child doing more critical thinking on their own and not having a parent hang over them making every decision for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Mary we are the same way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Not at all.  Free range parenting is about allowing kids age appropriate freedoms without hovering.  It isn't about not having expectations or allowing kids to rule the house.  You can read about it at freerangekids.com. It about releasing the paranoia about pedophiles,accidents and worst first thinking and allowing kids to be kids.  It is about giving them freedom to grow and learn without mom and dad always swooping in to fix the problem.  It is about releasing kids from the bubble wrap and allowing them to have a fulfilling childhood.

mary841108
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM

i have the rules so ingrained in their minds i dont have to hover lol, they just do whats expected. but if it comes to a kid thinking they are walking out the door on a cold day without a jacket, i am intervening asap! my personal statement in my home is "im not your bff, im not some random chick off the street, I am your mother and what i say goes, no questions asked"

jyofray
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean personally, I still would like to "hover" over my children in certain circumstances due to situations that have already occurred in their lives but... my two year old pretty much decides what she eats, drinks, wears, and what she wants to do. Nothing crazy, she isn't disrespectful or bratty. She says please and thank you and apologizes all on her own.  I don't want to tell my daughter how to breathe or eat or sleep. She is her own individual.. I think allowing her to blossom all on her own, growing into her own is something more children need to be. Kids aren't kids anymore. And it breaks my heart </3 #just my thoughts on it

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM
This is me. I didn't think it had a name.

Quoting A_McCool:

Not at all.  Free range parenting is about allowing kids age appropriate freedoms without hovering.  It isn't about not having expectations or allowing kids to rule the house.  You can read about it at freerangekids.com. It about releasing the paranoia about pedophiles,accidents and worst first thinking and allowing kids to be kids.  It is about giving them freedom to grow and learn without mom and dad always swooping in to fix the problem.  It is about releasing kids from the bubble wrap and allowing them to have a fulfilling childhood.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM

It means you don't watch your kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)