Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

feeding a 12 month old.. help please

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 16 Replies
My son has been eating table food for about three months. He'll eat whatever I eat.. the only problem is that I don't really eat healthy. The only veggies I like are corn and green beans. He wont eat the gb.
Any ideas on foods I can try with him? Sometimes he will eat something without me eating it too. For instance, he loves oatmeal, I can't stand it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

You need to retry foods you formerly did not like.  Carrots, mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries are good, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, mashed white potatoes,  various types of beans, peas(they are similar to green beans).  Also do many fruits like apples, grapes, berries, etc.

brittany.dcd
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I've been thinking about doing that. I'm just a really picky eater. But one bite couldn't hurt.

Quoting frndlyfn:

You need to retry foods you formerly did not like.  Carrots, mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries are good, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, mashed white potatoes,  various types of beans, peas(they are similar to green beans).  Also do many fruits like apples, grapes, berries, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Corn isn't a vegetable. Start buying more produce and introduce him to them. Start now or you may be cursed with a very picky child.

brittany.dcd
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I live with my MIL. She always has a veggie with dinner. Other people will try to get him to try them, but he will only take food from me. That's the problem.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Corn isn't a vegetable. Start buying more produce and introduce him to them. Start now or you may be cursed with a very picky child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dallas4nu
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I was in the same boat. I'm more of a, 'eat when I feel like it' kind of person. I had to make a conscious effort to change my eating habits so that my dd would have the best nutrition possible. And meal time is important for kids emotionally and developmentally.

I'm not a picky eater, but I wasn't a very nutritious one either. I bought a variety of fruits/veggies. He won't know that you aren't eating them (not at this point anyway). Focus on his nutrition needs when you buy groceries. Not what sounds good to you. That's what worked for me anyway..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Just try it all basically! I found in the last year my tastes are changing quite a bit. I never really liked much veggies... As in I only ate salad or yellow corn or candied yams. I learned that you can slow cook them in broth with seasonings, without the water they come in when canned and they taste hella good! I also learned that green beans taste best when fresh... I've always hated green beans but not if they are fresh and cooked in a stir fry! And I even like cooked broccoli now if I put cheese sauce on it :)

My kids have gotten to the point they want nothing to do with veggies... So I buy the smoothie freezer packs and make big batches blended with veggies then freeze them for later... Those dollar tree sippy cups are perfect for that!
brittany.dcd
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM
What are the smoothie packs? How do you do it? Sounds like a good idea.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Just try it all basically! I found in the last year my tastes are changing quite a bit. I never really liked much veggies... As in I only ate salad or yellow corn or candied yams. I learned that you can slow cook them in broth with seasonings, without the water they come in when canned and they taste hella good! I also learned that green beans taste best when fresh... I've always hated green beans but not if they are fresh and cooked in a stir fry! And I even like cooked broccoli now if I put cheese sauce on it :)

My kids have gotten to the point they want nothing to do with veggies... So I buy the smoothie freezer packs and make big batches blended with veggies then freeze them for later... Those dollar tree sippy cups are perfect for that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dallas4nu
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM
BTW, veggie or not, corn contains fiber as well as nutrients that maintain eye health. So, don't rule out corn ;-)
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Why is that the problem? If he only takes it from you, stop feeding him crap and start feeding him more produce. And one veggie a day isn't going to cut it. Kids should be eating 4-6 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Your unhealthy palatte shouldn't matter, when it comes to your child. Maybe I'm confused but it's not like you are feeding him from your mouth, so you feeding him shouldn't matter.

Quoting brittany.dcd:

I live with my MIL. She always has a veggie with dinner. Other people will try to get him to try them, but he will only take food from me. That's the problem.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

So do carrots and sweet potatoes. Both are a lot healthier than corn, especially since 99.99999999% of the corn eaten is genetically altered.

Quoting dallas4nu:

BTW, veggie or not, corn contains fiber as well as nutrients that maintain eye health. So, don't rule out corn ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN