Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Not having insurance sucks!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I currently have a mirena that is due to be taken out. As im calling to find out prices, the mirena its self is going to be $830, then the visit to take it out and put a new one in is going to cost me $150. This is an expenssive little thing. But i guess its cheaper then having another baby. 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
alwayskk
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

And if you're not low-income, any remaining balance will have to be paid in full, with no discount. I guess I don't get why people are suggesting she go to Planned Parenthood unless they aren't aware of this or are assuming she's low income.

*shrug* IDK. Wish I could help, I don't know how to get them cheaper.

Quoting Greenstone920:

If you have insurance, they bill your insurance, like any other medical office would, assuming they're "in-network".  

Quoting alwayskk:

If you have insurance and are not low-income, what can Planned Parenthood do for you? Won't they just render services and bill your insurance?

Not being snarky...

heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We're assuming she's low-income because she has no insurance (implying she can't afford it), and is stressing about less than $1k (also implying she can't afford it). If she isn't low-income, has no insurance, and can't afford $1k for 5 years worth of BC, than something is very off about this story. Heck, I'm technically considered low-income, and even I can pull $1k out of my butt if I had to. I'm assuming she knew this day was coming and had time to save money. If she hasn't saved the money up by now and she's not low-income, that's kinda irresponsible on her part. I have 5 kids, I'm low-income, and it would only take me a month or two to save $1k. (I know this because I recently had to come up with a $1k deductible for a homeowners insurance claim). That was harsh, I know, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Quoting alwayskk:

And if you're not low-income, any remaining balance will have to be paid in full, with no discount. I guess I don't get why people are suggesting she go to Planned Parenthood unless they aren't aware of this or are assuming she's low income.

kjsaes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

there arent any low cost womens health clinics in your area? 

that is at the low cost clinic

kjsaes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

that is where i went to

kjsaes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quoting Had3girls:

I had the same issue and found out that the doc that put it in could take it out .... somethin bout it already haing been paid for when they put it in ...... it mite b different depending on states .... it would b worth looking into ..... good luck

she doesnt practice anymore :(

kjsaes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

No i am not low income, my work insurance is just outrageous. im not stressing about nothing, i was just simply stating. Never said i cant pay for it i dont know why this is the assumption. I was just saying its expensive with out any insurance. i dont know why people think a simple post is always complaining, or about being poor and not being able to afford it. I can afford it, for your information its already paid for just waiting on my appointment. 

Quoting heresjohnny:

We're assuming she's low-income because she has no insurance (implying she can't afford it), and is stressing about less than $1k (also implying she can't afford it). If she isn't low-income, has no insurance, and can't afford $1k for 5 years worth of BC, than something is very off about this story. Heck, I'm technically considered low-income, and even I can pull $1k out of my butt if I had to. I'm assuming she knew this day was coming and had time to save money. If she hasn't saved the money up by now and she's not low-income, that's kinda irresponsible on her part. I have 5 kids, I'm low-income, and it would only take me a month or two to save $1k. (I know this because I recently had to come up with a $1k deductible for a homeowners insurance claim). That was harsh, I know, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Quoting alwayskk:

kjsaes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting Greenstone920:

If you have insurance, they bill your insurance, like any other medical office would, assuming they're "in-network".  

Quoting alwayskk:

If you have insurance and are not low-income, what can Planned Parenthood do for you? Won't they just render services and bill your insurance?

Not being snarky...

i do not have insurance. thanks for the advice though :)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Our womens health clinic would see anyone despite financial situation or insurance and bill accordingly. This was a while back though not sure if one still exists now for our area.  I paid what i could at the time and then got a bill in mail for the remainder.

Brittanyo
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I agree it sucks!! I don't have either
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Good for you. Then what exactly was the point of this thread? Complaining about the cost of your birth control? A birth control that lasts for 5 years? When you think about how much it ends up costing per month ($16.33), that's pretty small potatoes. Most people I know spend more than that on coffee.

Quoting kjsaes:

No i am not low income, my work insurance is just outrageous. im not stressing about nothing, i was just simply stating. Never said i cant pay for it i dont know why this is the assumption. I was just saying its expensive with out any insurance. i dont know why people think a simple post is always complaining, or about being poor and not being able to afford it. I can afford it, for your information its already paid for just waiting on my appointment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN