Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone child ever have/had low iron before?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 31 Replies

Today at my 19month old son WIC appointment they checked His iron and it was low.  He has always had low iron since He was a little baby.   He is still breastfeed.  Very picky eater. He eats some fruits&mostly chicken.  He also will eat potatoes, rice,mac n cheese,and noodles.  That's about it.  He will not as of now eat vegetables :(  He drinks very little whole milk, hardly any juice(that is why His doctor never gave him the iron drops), loves water. Has anyone had this problem with their child and low iron? What did you do to help make it go up?  I am scared cause they told me at the WIC office He could get sick pass out, or need a blood transfusion if it get real low :( 

I did make an appointment with His doctor to see what can now be done.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Oh please. They're just scaring the crap outta you. I mean, it is a problem but I doubt your kid is going to die because he's a little low. Low iron runs in our family. I have had an aunt put on an IV of straight iron because hers was so low. None of us have died off yet. Just look into foods high in iron and encourage your DS to eat more of them. I'm not a nutritional expert but I do believe there are a few fruits that would fit that bill and probably taste fairly good to your DS.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Cooking with cast iron can help with that, especially with acidic foods such as tomatoes.

ajzuell
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thanks Ladies :)

Punkslilncs
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

They make iron drops, my children have health issues that make them annemic all the time..  I use iron drops in their food.. cook with cast iron. 

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

yes my son is anemic... he has had to have several blood transfusions... flintstone vitamins actually have a good iron count....and iron drops are available otc...

but you need to ask for a number and let his doctor know and ask for recommend course of treatment.... it has to be very low for you to see problems from it..

red meat and dark green leafy veggies have high iron too.

carlycarson
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM
My 21 month old has always had low iron. They have never seemed concerned about it. He nursed until a month ago and eats like crazy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM

we did iron drops then when old enough pills.  Now only need when we see signs in his eyes looks like lack of sleep.  but he is picky, but I am not and I have low iron so some of his is genetic.

rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM

my kids tested low iron.  The nurse told me to not give them choc milk, or flavored milk (on a regualr basis, special treats are ok) as that affects how the body absorbs iron.  So about 2 weeks before I made sure to not give them any flavored milk, and they tested normal.  

So if he drinks cows milk, no flavor in it!  It will affect how he absorbs iron, for even a few days after.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Bwa ha ha at straight iron.  Straight iron is metal  

Quoting furbabymum:

Oh please. They're just scaring the crap outta you. I mean, it is a problem but I doubt your kid is going to die because he's a little low. Low iron runs in our family. I have had an aunt put on an IV of straight iron because hers was so low. None of us have died off yet. Just look into foods high in iron and encourage your DS to eat more of them. I'm not a nutritional expert but I do believe there are a few fruits that would fit that bill and probably taste fairly good to your DS.

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Since he still BFs, be sure you get plenty of iron, in addition to trying to increase his intake of iron.  Here's a list of foods with a good amount of iron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN