Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone child ever have/had low iron before?

Posted by   + Show Post

Today at my 19month old son WIC appointment they checked His iron and it was low.  He has always had low iron since He was a little baby.   He is still breastfeed.  Very picky eater. He eats some fruits&mostly chicken.  He also will eat potatoes, rice,mac n cheese,and noodles.  That's about it.  He will not as of now eat vegetables :(  He drinks very little whole milk, hardly any juice(that is why His doctor never gave him the iron drops), loves water. Has anyone had this problem with their child and low iron? What did you do to help make it go up?  I am scared cause they told me at the WIC office He could get sick pass out, or need a blood transfusion if it get real low :( 

I did make an appointment with His doctor to see what can now be done.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
waffa
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

digabuhwut??????????????

smh

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Cooking with cast iron can help with that, especially with acidic foods such as tomatoes.

Charliesmommy11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Ds took iron drops for months after he was born. He had multiple blood transfusions during his nicu stay as well. Since your LO likes Mac n cheese try hiding veggies in the cheese sauce. Soften carrots or sweet potatoes , broccoli , cauliflower etc then blend it up till its smooth and add it to the cheese sauce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ginger.mom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Oh the WIc office... they did that with my son(2 yo), so it wouldnt hurt to get his iron level checked again. it was a 10 which is ok, not great, but we got him on a multi vitamin and he is doing just fine. Plus the extra vitamines will do him some good for the foods he wont eat. Mind you my guy is alergic to spinach and beef so natural ways to help higher levels of Iron do not really work for us. I am sure your doc will help you out way better then the WIC office ever could. Good luck.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

English, please.

Quoting waffa:

digabuhwut??????????????

smh

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Cooking with cast iron can help with that, especially with acidic foods such as tomatoes.

kattu
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
My daughter has low iron. We just make sure she eats foods rich in iron. Google them.
Hani_Mommy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Give an iron supplement if ur worried about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My daughter's was a little low and her pediatrician had me give her the Flinstone vitamins with iron in them (I've also given her gummy vitamins that have iron in them). She hasn't had a problem since. If it were a problem his pediatrician would have said something to you. And from what I've been told when I was tested for low iron there's usually some other signs if it gets drastically low...

waffa
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

"digabuhwut?" is a term I use when someone says or posts something that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and "smh" is short for shaking my head; not the Kings English, yes, but clear enough to convey my confusion over how cooking with a cast iron pot or eating high acid foods helps with anemia.

Try leafy dark greens (such as broccoli, spinach, kale), beef, or tofu if you are looking for an actual way to help low iron. cooking them in any sort of pot, cast iron or not, only diminishes any nutritional value.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

English, please.

Quoting waffa:

digabuhwut??????????????

smh

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

goldilocksbecky
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I'm not sure what about her post you found confusing.  Maybe number 5 will help clear it up for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417124-how-to-increase-iron-levels-in-blood/

Quoting waffa:

"digabuhwut?" is a term I use when someone says or posts something that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and "smh" is short for shaking my head; not the Kings English, yes, but clear enough to convey my confusion over how cooking with a cast iron pot or eating high acid foods helps with anemia.

Try leafy dark greens (such as broccoli, spinach, kale), beef, or tofu if you are looking for an actual way to help low iron. cooking them in any sort of pot, cast iron or not, only diminishes any nutritional value.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

English, please.

Quoting waffa:

digabuhwut??????????????

smh

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Jrogillio
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My dd did at like 2 yrs they said she was drinking too much milk. So we cut back and she has been fine since
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN