Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Here's something that has been bugging me for a couple months now, and the holidays are making me think about it more. We had a big party this past summer, people of all ages for the entire day & night. 2 of the families left super early (2 of my aunts, their husbands, and their adult sons) because they felt it was a dangerous place.

We bought a house with some property and have some 4 wheelers & a go cart. I require that all minors have parent's approval and wear safety gear. For adults, I just ask if they know how to ride. My aunts thought it was horrible that I don't also require adults to wear helmets. They are offered, but it is not a rule to ride. I personally think it is very stupid to ride anything like that w/o a helmet, but whatever...these are adults. Their sons-my cousins-chose to not wear helmets (they are all right around 19-25). While I was preparing food (for about 60 people), keeping an eye on kids, and mingling, my aunts & uncles thought I should be yelling at these guys and forcing them to wear helmets. I wouldn't. So they left. And I don't expect them to come back to a party like that.

Also, in the back of the yard, some guys were doing some target practice. These are all licensed guys who weren't drinking...but it totally freaked out some of my family (I should mention they've done very similar things at their parties).

What do you think? Should I make it a requirement that even adults wear helmets?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM

lol, I know it sounds bad...but that was happening far from the party-you could barely hear it.  And the people who left used to shoot those clay things at their parties regularly...I'm pretty sure you use real bullets for those?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Target practice at a family cookout?  I would have left too!

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM

No, I was asking a question...I just wasn't expecting so many insulting comments.  lol what was I thinking?!?

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Oh I get it now. You weren't really asking a question. You just wanted validation. Silly me, I thought you might want to know what people actually thought. I should know better.

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Well it's sure not a bad idea..

christina0607
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I figured you really just didn't want to answer any real questions, so I'm really not surprised. hopefully you will open your eyes in the future.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

It's getting harder and harder to talk to you with tact.  I'm having a hard time thinking of things to say to you w/o being offensive.  Maybe if you push a little harder I'll get heated up enough to respond, but right now I think I'm done conversing with you.

Quoting christina0607:

So you don't have a problem asking them to do certain things in your home. Why do you have such a hard time asking them to respect you about the helmets? And don't say it doesn't directly effect you, unless you are independently wealthy and a few thousand in hospital bills isn't an issue. Not to mention the emotional toll it would take on your family for being responsible for the pain and suffering of another family member...that wouldn't be easy.

I get it..you don't understand simple conversation and context. I was asking why you can't ask them to do something as simple as wear a helmet if you(as you've already said) think it's stupid not to.You said you can't ask adults to do something(though clearly you can because you ask them not to smoke in your house) ...so is the problem that you feel they wouldn't respect you? Or do you just honestly not care about their health and well being...or the financial responsibility you would hold.

I really thought you were far younger...much younger. I'm shocked actually.

lol, b/c it's a house rule-one that directly affects my family.  And yes, that is an answer to your question.  This was your question: Is the problem that you don't think your friends would respect the rules in your home, so you don't bother having them?
This was me answering it: The problem was that my aunts wanted me to stop hosting this party to chase around a bunch of adults (their children) and force them to wear helmets or get off the machines.

I'm 31.  How old are you?

Quoting christina0607:

Why don't they smoke in the house?

And no that is not an answer to the question. How old are you?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

christina0607
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Thats exactly what it is, you ask her anything or say anything to her and she gets all huffy. She really should have added that in the post.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Oh I get it now. You weren't really asking a question. You just wanted validation. Silly me, I thought you might want to know what people actually thought. I should know better.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Leegally, if something happened, you would be responsible since it was on your property with your 4 wheelers. We make everyone where then, or they don't ride. We also get written consent from parents for the kids to CYA.

I would never have target practice where there were many kids or anyone drinking.

Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Same in my new state and I can't believe it, but in a selfish way it is to my benefit for when I need a transplant.  They suggest moving to a non helmet law state when you are in need-you move up on the list quicker. 

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

The question was who's right-me or my aunts: Should I make adults wear helmets.  I agree it's stupid not to.  But they are adults.  It's not even the law to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle going 70 next to 16 yr old drivers down the expressway here...I'm not going to force them to wear one while on a 4 wheeler on the grass.

Quoting christina0607:

Why does someone have to be "right"....they didn't want to be involved with something obviously stupid, so they chose to leave. You don't care that it's stupid, thats your choice.

No one is wrong here.

I would have left too.

Ollie123
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I want to go to a party at your house. Sounds like a blast! As for the helmets adults should be able to choose.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hmm I never thought of that.  I have an acquaintance who was just put on the liver transplant list...I should tell her at least she's in this state huh.

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

Same in my new state and I can't believe it, but in a selfish way it is to my benefit for when I need a transplant.  They suggest moving to a non helmet law state when you are in need-you move up on the list quicker. 

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

The question was who's right-me or my aunts: Should I make adults wear helmets.  I agree it's stupid not to.  But they are adults.  It's not even the law to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle going 70 next to 16 yr old drivers down the expressway here...I'm not going to force them to wear one while on a 4 wheeler on the grass.

Quoting christina0607:

Why does someone have to be "right"....they didn't want to be involved with something obviously stupid, so they chose to leave. You don't care that it's stupid, thats your choice.

No one is wrong here.

I would have left too.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, come on over!  You might have to sign a waiver at the end of the driveway though ;)

Quoting Ollie123:

I want to go to a party at your house. Sounds like a blast! As for the helmets adults should be able to choose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN