Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you intervene when kids play?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM
  • 26 Replies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Depends on what's going on. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM

depends on what is going on and if it is supposed to be a controlled play or "wild"play.

pamelax3
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

depends on the situation

mary841108
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

only when they play dodge ball...nuff said :)

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Depends but lately I find myself telling the other parent to let the kids be. At the park the other day this boys father drive me crazy. Our kids were playing good together getting along wonderfully and he kept saying every few moments....."no you be nice to her" when he hadn't done anything . For example when Erin first asked the boy if he wanted to play he answered yes but no princess. LOL. He chewed the poor boy out for not being nice. I tried to explain that was fine she rather play super heros anyway. Then the boy said we have to kill the bad guy and OMG he freaked out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gabrielle1982
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I don't have kids but I've worked with kids a lot.  So I do usually intervene if they are misbehaving.  If I see a form of bullying I will step in and explain to the "bully" the "rights and wrongs" without being mean to them myself or belittling them.  I guess I step in when there are teachable moments.  Kid 1 trips into Kid 2's blocks and Kid 2 hits Kid 1, I explain that hitting is wrong and Kid 1 didn't do it on purpose and how to handle the situation if Kid 1 had done it on purpose.  I obviously spent a lot more time around little kids, haha.  And obviously the parents were paying me to be the type to intervene....when I am out with friends and their kids, I am uncomfortable discipling their kids when they are around.

Matriarch87
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

It totally depends.  Almost always if my son is the one doing wrong, but someimes if the other kid is crossing I line, I like to experiment and see what my son will do...it might be funny. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

no.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Depends on the kids.  

Not usually, but back when DD1 was still playing with Psycho-Brat (whose mother's name is: It's-Not-Her-Fault), I did have to intervene more and more as Psycho-Brat got more crazy.  Oddly, we met Psycho-Brat2.0 last year and his mom, He-Swears-He-Didn't-Do-It, was even more of a pain in the ass and that "friendship" required a nasty confrontation.  

I prefer DD1 hang with kids whose parents don't go out of their way to tell me how "hard it is for Jr. to meet kids who are as nice as your daughter".  That's usually the hint that I'm going to be intervening in the play time.  

TSNDDY
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Oops so my phone totally sent that, I don't typically feel comfortable intervening unless someone is getting hurt. But today we were at a play place playing in a bounce house, where some boys were being purposefully exclusionary towards my DD, and she was really upset. I removed her from the situation and told her that yes I heard what the boys said, it wasn't nice but we can't always make people play with us. I was wondering what other people do when kids purposefully exclude others.
I feel like I need to do more to help DD in these sorts of scenarios.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)