Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone really work from home? Or is it all scams?

I'd really like to work from home, I make and sell my own jewelry but it doesnt bring in enough cash to quit my job.

I see a lot of ads for work at home jobs but they all turn out to be scams.

Anyone know of anything legit that can bring in some extra $$ ?

Shauna

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I am a freelance graphic designer and work from home. It can get difficult to find clients and it is not steady work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Des10ed2b
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

there are actually lots and lots of ways. you just have to be REALLY committed to them to get them to pay as much as a job outside of the home. most people just dont want to put forth the effort to get the ball rolling, so they all scream "scam" since it didnt work the way they wanted. 

yes, i work from home, although i havent been active with it lately and really need to get back on the ball. but i know that i have no one to blame but myself. they give me all the means to succeed. i have just been slacking!

AleaKat
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM
My husband is working from home now but he had to work on site for 6 months to get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Several of my friends do Mary Kay and Scentsy and they have all said unless you pay the money to go to the conferences, pay for the website, spam ppls emails you don't make enough to make a difference. One is actually only doing it for cheaper stuff.

nancym3
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I have 2 friends that work from home. They are call center reps. Check out aspire.com. One is a rep for Disney. The other is for AT&T.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM
I do licensed daycare...no scam in that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyp05
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I work for a company that is half work at home, half onsite. Meaning we have several different locations around the globe and about half the people at each building work from home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama2JoshKatie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I worked for Leapforce for awhile and that is legit. Don't expect full time income but for awhile I made enough each month to pay our mortgage so that helped. Lionbridge is another one. They are companies that hire people to evaluate search engines.

Also check out Hilton At Home. The Hilton Hotel corporation hires people to work from home handling telephone reservations. The are for sure legit and you can work full time or part time.

There are a lot of good legit ones at there you just have to do your research. Oh and if they make ridiculous claims like your going to make $10,000 a month, have the "life of your dreams" or show you pictures of people standing in front of sports cars and mansions, then run from them as fast as you can! lol

Lurion
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM

A friend of mine worked from home booking vacations for Disney. It was totally legit. Arise.com and there are other similar companies.

Like any other business, it does require some investment. Don't assume they're scams if they ask for some money up front. 

In her case, she had to provide a landline, high-speed internet, then she paid for training on different programs (Disney, customer service for other companies, etc.) that ranged from $200-$500. Then she made abut $9-$10 and hour. Some jobs you could turn your phone off/on as you wished, others you had to schedule a block of hours. 

I have worked from home for 10 years in a professional job. I worked first in an office for about 5 years, then negotiated a work from home agreement. Later, started my own business and now I work about 20-30 hours from home and am able to support my family. 

mommy2twoangel
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I did West At Home and worked for comcast.  Check it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN