Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (161-170):
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I would talk to the director & teacher first. He may not be lying, but he may not be telling the whole truth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Would it cross your mind to talk to the director/teacher first? Your answer is very extreme.

Quoting marney.p:

Take pictures and take him straight to the doctors tonight so they can do a report. This may be needed later. DO NOT send him back to this daycare as he is not safe there. Get someone to mind him till you find a new day care. Report the day care to the relevent state agiency. If you post the state you are in someone may know who you should phone. I would then be seeing a lawyer with the medical report, but thats just me.

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Yes, that is very extreme. Ugh.

Quoting seraphimsong:

Would it cross your mind to talk to the director/teacher first? Your answer is very extreme.
Quoting marney.p:

Take pictures and take him straight to the doctors tonight so they can do a report. This may be needed later. DO NOT send him back to this daycare as he is not safe there. Get someone to mind him till you find a new day care. Report the day care to the relevent state agiency. If you post the state you are in someone may know who you should phone. I would then be seeing a lawyer with the medical report, but thats just me.

momgirlsx2
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I would definitely take pictures, but would also be level headed and talk to the director. They should have given you an incident report or at least talked to you when you picked him up.

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Yes, one mom came in yealling that we didn't feed her daughter lunch the day before. The little didn't feel good and wanted to sleep. We let her sleep through lunch, but made her a plate and saved it. When she woke up, she was able to eat. I think she just thought she didn't have REAL lunch because it wasn't in the cafeteria with everyone else. She probably thought it was a snack. Also one kid said another kid took his dollar and we had to question all the children and for three days the (crackhead) mom wouldn't let it go. She acted like we weren't watching closely to see the dollar go missing. Finally she found it in his pants at home later.

Quoting Lsublime0005:

I would talk to the teacher and director. I am a preschool teacher as well and it is hard to find out the whole story from your child alone. I once had a parent come in very angry that his daughter said another child at school whipped her with a stick and she had an enormous welt on her back. turned out the girl later admitted it wasnt any kids at school but her sibling!

EvaSerenity
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM
My DD is in preschool, none of my kids have ever been to an actual daycare, but I would think the injury reports would work the same. She isn't exactly graceful LOL and I get an incident report for every little scrape scratch and bruise. Detailed to the point of who witnessed it, when and where it happened, and the action that was taken (love, ice, band aid, etc). Usually I get told all about dd's injury on the way home (she's 4). I would think that most daycares or preschools would fill out forms if for no other reason than liability. All that said, I'd find out what the teacher and director have to say as well as ask some pretty demanding questions, definitely photograph the injuries (just remember sometimes with the police or cps pictures don't hold up), and me personally, have my child checked out by a doctor ASAP. If you think its scratches from fingernails, that could get infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Quoting Mom2B1G_L.E.F.T:

I would be taking pictures, pressing charges for child abuse and my child would no longer be going to that daycare and the lady would be very lucky that i would rather be at home with my child than sitting in a cell on assault charges.
hellokittykat
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Take photos to document it before it heals. You may need it later on, even months from now if more injuries occur. Keep a log of dates, doctor's appointments, communications, etc. If the daycare's management doesn't  address this to your satisfaction, you should also be able to file a complaint with the local city/county's human and social services department or child protective services.  See how the school handle's it first before you escalate it.

There have been so many cases recently about teacher abuse and inappropriate relations that parents should set the limits early on on what they will not tolerate.

See the news videos on AOL:

http://on.aol.com/video/teacher-accused-of-slapping-autistic-students-517440891

MissMia22
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM

any update?

marinewife55
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM
The teacher might not have told him he was bad...my dd is almost three and I never call her bad (i work with higher level of care children in my career and kno not to do that) but sometimes she will be like Aww man momma, I was being bad, I made a mess...or something like that...and kids just like adults can see a situation different from their perspective than the truth or parent's perspective

Quoting jamiebell:

Yes that's abuse! At 3 years old I think the child is going to replay the story pretty straight forward. I think its wrong also that they've told your child he is bad! Children can be told they've made a bad choice but not that they are bad!!! Report them and find new daycare asap!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)