Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
LittleBirdFly
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM

thats not acceptable! Make sure you take pictures and my kid would not go back there as long as shes there.

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I would talk to the teacher and see what she says happened. I know sometimes I go to grab my kids and they move different and my nails catch them. Deffently still take pictures and talk to the director if need be afte.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You could ask my 3 yr old son where the bruise on his knee came from and he will tell you one of his siblings names. Even though he did it by jumping onto their play table. I would make sure to ask and not accuse.

Little Man

pregnancy week by week

Des10ed2b
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM

regardless of the situation, you SHOULD have been given an injury report that described what happened. that needs to happen anytime that there is any kind of injury. i remember times when i was working in daycare when i had to fill out multiple incident reports. i even had to include myself once when a little girl ran to huge me and hit me so hard that she bonked her forehead on my hip bone!

what i would want to know is if your son was acting out and they were having to restrain him in some way and the mark were incidental as a result of trying to get him. (not saying your child is like that. just saying that there are occasions where things like that happen) or if it was just a result of a mad teacher losing her temper and injuring your child because of it. 

definitely something that needs to be addressed with the provider. 

grammarpolice
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I wouldn't send him back in until I met with the director and got to the bottom of it. I'd also be sure to take pictures and possibly have a doctors appointment on record. You could consult your attorney, just to see what he/she thinks...

momofnate0707
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My old daycare would send home a report about everything that happened. If she was aware enough to put bandaids over the scratches, she should have sent home a report.

Aislinn
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Oh, lord. My blood boiled just reading this. We would have some huge issues. HUGE. 

davnrori
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

After my initial red haze of fucking fury calmed down, I would ask for a meeting with the daycare teacher, the director, and myself. I would be prepared to show pictures of the injury and a video of my son describing what he felt happened. I would go in there calm, cool, and collected so that I could present my complain in a non-confrontational manner because I don't want to hear a defense, I want to hear an explanation.

It could be that your son was 'being bad' by climbing on something he shouldn't have and the injury occured when the teacher grabbed him trying to prevent a fall. Remember, your son is 3, his perceptions of an incident, while valid, may not be entirely accurate and are based not only at his mental level but his verbal level. There are three sides to every story- His side, her side, and the truth. Good Luck!

workoutmom2b1g
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

There ALWAYS should be an accident report. Take pictures and show director for sure. It could have been some sort of accident, maybe sh was catching him as he fell, but like I said there should be an accident report. Good luck!!

EsmeVincent
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM
this

Quoting Steph1499:

I would take pics and show the to the director.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN