Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Have him tell the Police . You recording him saying it will look coached . Take pics . Call the police , file a report . Speak to the director and have the police do the same. I would prob press charges .

Quoting 20Keller12:

I would talk to the cops. That's illegal. Take pictures and see if you can record him telling you what happened.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope you got pics. There should definitely be a report. I work at a gym, in the babysitting room, and even though we aren't licensed, we ALWAYS make a report if there's any injury that requires action by us (band-aid, ice pack, whatever) or if there's a visible scratch or mark. We always explain what happened to the parents when they pick up their child.

Is there any way it could have been accidental? Like if he was falling and she went to catch him and accidentally scratched him? Accident or not, though, there are no excuses for them not filing a report and not alerting you.

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM
I would say take pictures and file a report with the police. A friend of mine whose son is 1 week older than ds had him in daycare. He came home one might and had red marks on his face around his mouth. They took him to the er to get checked and the police did their whole investigation and determined it wasn't the parents that did it and when they questioned the daycare it was the boyfriend of the owner and he had just been certified and she left him alone with the kids do she could be recertified.
Her son was crying and the hut held him against the floor by his head with his hand around his mouth. The daycare wad closed and he went to jail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM
5 moms liked this

Please, wait until you find out what truly happened before you flip. I taught preschool and ran after school programs and twice I injured a child, but not on purpose. The first time, a little girl went up the ladder to a slide and when she got to the top, fell backwards. I dove to catch her and I did, but scratched her face pretty bad with my thumbnail when I caught her. The other time, the little girl was having a tantrum and ran towards the street. She was about ten, pissed off, and pretty strong. I chased her and grabbed her and pulled her back out of the road. A bus was coming. She came close to getting hit. I left a bruise on her from grabbing her too hard. It was an adrenaline rush. I probably grabbed her harder than I needed to but I was so scared that she was about to get hit.

Just letting you know that there may be a good reason for it. Although, you most definately should have been told what happened.

DarlaHood
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

It's strange that she didn't say anything because with my kids and granddaughter, they fill out a little report if they even skinned their knee!  And if they bumped their head, they called and said, "We just wanted to let you know she bumped her head, but she's o.k.  Do you want to talk to her?"  I would go straight to the director, and let her investigate what happened.  If the woman did accidentally scratch with a ring or something, and it was bad enough for band-aids, then she should have explained when you picked him up, or at least sent a note.

blue_apalt
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:09 AM

This.

Quoting preacherskid:

Take pictures.  Anything that lasts, and is noticeable enough for an adult to put a bandage on, should have been the FIRST thing they told you about at pick up.  My daycare tells me if they think there might be a bruise later, or if there is any mark that lasts more than a few minutes I have to sign an incident report.  Take the pictures, have a sit down with teacher and director.  I would not consider this acceptable at all.  I could see an accident, but there should still have been documentation, incident report, and you signing off on it before you went home.  The lack of communication would be more concerning to me than the marks.

colins_mom
by Heather on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM

not typically, but it is enough for the teacher to get in major trouble with the director. it doesn't sound deliberate, more so accidental but she knew it happened and tried to cover it up (literally) and that is never good. its not ethical for one.

Quoting Jessycwr:

Would this be considered child abuse?

RLT2
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Take pics and call the Director,  tomorrow

sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

If they could bandage it but not tell you there is a bandage and why it's there, something is fishy. I would assume the boy is telling the truth, take pictures, and confront the center. At the very least, if she is grabbing kids in anger and hurting them, she needs to be fired and charged to where she can't work in a daycare again. This isn't the worst daycare story I've heard, but it's not the best either.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM
This and demand. A report if they can't or won't give it to u report the daycare and find him a new one. Sorry this happened. My dd at 18 months was bitten by another girl they not only told me immediately but they gave me the repot and kicked the girl out, I know it's a little different, but I got the proper report which u should have gotten

Quoting Steph1499:

I would take pics and show the to the director.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)