Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (221-230):
Jessycwr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your concerns I have updated for everyone.

Jessycwr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Quoting spunky946:

So what was the story?

He said that he ran from her when she told him to go potty. He said he ran to the corner to hide because he did not want to go potty and she just scrached him

sh3ll33
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

If you injured a child why did you not notify the parents. Sorry but if any child is injured the parents have the right to be notified.....not told by their toddler....

Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I hope things turn out well for you. 

I also hope that justice is served.

angevil53
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Well good for you mama! Protect your baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I could have told you i'ts not ring worm by looking at it! I have had several kids in my center that had it at one point including one of my own children! Ring worm is in an actual ring & looks like a bullseye (white unraised center). I can not believe that a director wouldn't look at it before putting the bandaids on to make sure BECAUSE she would have had to tell you about it when you picked him up! AND... you are not required to put a bandaid on Ring worm unless it is exposed (i.e. on the face, an unsleeved arm, a leg on a person is wearing shorts. The stomache? No... his shirt would have been covering it.

Quoting Jessycwr:

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

ohboymommyof2
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Was the teacher present during any part of this? Did u ever talk to her and get her explanation
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
akgrear
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I think it is more suspicious now. I am a preschool teacher and if it was ringworm you should have got a call and as another has said the director would know what ringworm looks like.

Yellowlily333
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

WOW! I am not one to say this-but I would be calling a lawyer!

connorsmommy120
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If they thought it was ringworm, why didn't they say anything to you? That right there suspicious on their part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN