Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (51-60):
momof3_050709
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I would take pictures and then go straight to who ever is in charge, tell them what your son said, show the pictures and if they do nothing, I would file a report with the cops, and call every news station out there.. No one messes with my kids and gets away with it. I would make dang sure they got that message too!

Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Heads.  Would.  Roll.

Take pictures.  Go to the director and tell her that you have pictures that you are saving at home.  Get the whole story and if you feel like they are going to simply try and gloss over what happened, tell them that you are going to take your story and your pictures to the media.  Don't back down.  It sounds like that teacher needs to be out of there.

TaleiLove12
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
This is why my husband doesn't want our kids going to daycare. Thankfully my MIL watches her and soon to be both while I am at school and my husband is at work
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

take pics on ur phone and show the director when you talk to him/her

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I would take pictures and then have a talk with the teacher as well as the director. Find out exactly what happened and how those marks came to be. 

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I would take him to the doctors office immediately and have it checked out and cleaned out (finger nails can cause some pretty nasty infections)..

This will give you a record of the event for a future court case against the teacher who, from the sounds of it.. may have been abusive toward your child.

After this I would go to the school board and discuss what's happened, take pictures to show them, as well as a copy of what the doctor says he believed caused it as well and demand it be resolved IMMEDIATELY.. 

If what your son said is true (which is likely), I would expect the teacher fired and charged with abuse... if action isn't immediately taken to investigate.. I would not only get a lawyer, but make it public!.

kattu
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I agree.
Do they have cameras?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would tell the director what DS said and see how they respond. Although I'm not saying he's lying, there are often 3 sides to every story.
funhappymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I think first, you need to take pics, then if you are comfortable with it talk to his teacher. Get her side of the story. Depending upon how that goes, you should then talk to the director.

Even if it was an accident-which it could very well have been-it should have been documented and you should have been notified of it. 

I personally wouldn't jump to calling the police or reporting it to other authorities until you get the info from the daycare itself. 

Good luck and I hope it was an accident :)

MissLydie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Bump for update
UpSheRises
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You should contact your local child care licensing authority as well.

Remember, 3 year olds sometimes misinterpret or misunderstand events, and so do teachers, so it's important to let people who are trained in figuring this stuff out do what they do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)