Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (61-70):
i.love.my.kidz
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Bump for update!

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I would go to the director and ask for a meeting with the teacher. She obviously lost her temper and needs to be reprimanded. 

kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have called the cops

illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would take pictures and wait till morning before you call the police and the air guard and everyone else. A 1/2 inch SCRATCH isn't such a huge deal. I have scratched my kids from trying to pull up their pants. I stopped wearing my wedding ring while DD2 was a baby because I couldn't stop accidentally scratching her. Diamonds can cut through glass and the gold posts are strong enough to hold the stone through lots of banging around. There are dangerous aspects to wearing a ring!

Does your 3 year old go potty 100% by himself? Wipes and pulls up his pants? If not, its likely her wedding ring got him from helping him. Please don't jump to conclusions till you have the full story,

Likewise, I don't know any 3 year olds who do not want a bandaid over every little thing. My daughter was playing with her 4 year old friend on Tuesday and he came up to me and showed me a papercut and asked for a bandaid. I asked what happened (they weren't using paper) and he said he got cut during arts and crafts at school last week. Uh, you don't need a bandaid 5 days later because you remembered you had a paper cut but it made him HAPPY so I gave it to him.

The daycare lady probably gave him a bandaid to make him happy and didn't think it was any big deal or that she needed to write a report. We are talking about HALF INCH scratches

lorelei27
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
There would be a big problem. I'd take pictures, talk to the director AND teacher to see what her side is and go from there. If she intentionally did it I would file charges. Nobody has the right to harmyour child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Shara on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I would definately talk to the director and pictures would be a good idea like others have said. Just keep in mind though that there is a possibility it could have been an accident. There have been many times when my kids were doing something they werent supposed to and I reached out to pick them up and take them to time out or something like that and they tried to move from my reach and I have accidently scratched them or something like that. I would definately look into though and keep a very close eye on the situation. Maybe you could even find out if any other kids have had anything happen as well.

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

First of all my child would not be returning to that center. Take pictures, go in and talk to the director in private, then talk to the teacher with the director present. Try to get to the bottom of the situation before you go involving the cops. The teacher might lose her job. I used to work in child care and you HAD to make a report for any type of injury, no matter how small, even a tiny scratch got reported. If you don't feel you have gotten satisfactory answers from the center, and you have good reason to believe the teacher was abusing your son and not just failing to report an accident, then call the cops and press charges.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to see pictures before i say what i feel should be done. because honestly, i have seen some (myself included) that when wearing a bandaide, after the bandaid comes off, it LOOKS like finger prints and marks because of the adhesive from the bandaid. 

is it possible the marks you see are FROM the bandaide? 

CML30
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Bump for update
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Take pictures

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN