Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

daycare teacher injured my son UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3 year old come home with band aids on his stomach. When I finaly convinced him to let me take them off he had two big red whelps under the band aids. When I asked him what happened he said "Ms. ** did it. She just did like this... as he motioned" When I asked him why and what happened he said that he was being bad. It looks as if maybe she grabbed him by the waist and dug her thumb nails into his stomach and drug them. There are two raised red marks on the sides of his stomach and they are swollen up about 1/2 in long. I was not notified and was not given a report. I am going to the director about it tomorrow. But.... What would you do? What would you say???

Okay, first I want to thank every one for their advice. Sorry I couldn't update sooner. Yesterday I went and spoke with the director. I told her my concerns and showed her the pictures and made sure she knew I was concerned and upset. Well turns out she was the one who put the band aids on him.... because the teacher told her that the red areas were ringworm. I told her she needed to go look at them again. They are on the same spot on both sides of his stomach, that would be highly unlikely. I then repeated the part about what my son had told me and his story behind it (how and why). Anyhow, I had her call and make a formal report. I was told I had to go see a doctor and have ring worm ruled out... We went to one of those little clinics and when I explained they turned me away and told me I would have to go to the ER. They do not and will not see suspected abuse cases. He did however, say that the red spots look like pinch marks because of the size and the broken capillaries. The ER doctor confirmed saying they are abrasions NOT ring worm. (They look NOTHING like a ring worm) .

Today DHS came and saw my son. I have yet to hear from them as it is Friday, I am hoping to hear something on Monday.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (71-80):
furbabymum
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I'd knife a bitch. My DS came home with a smashed finger. To me that's liable to happen anywhere. Being physically injured like that, no. Kill the bitch. Contact DFS. Do what ya gotta do.

Mom24munchkins
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
My ring has done this too, and its done it to friends kids. But common sense would tell you to apologize to the child and parents. Even if it was an accident it was handled poorly by the daycare. But this was my first thought too

Quoting noahscott:

maybe she was wearing rings and accidently scratched him? i have accidently done that with my own kids. i would definitely question it though. it's tough having kids in day care. it makes me sick to think about someone hurting my kids. it's my biggest fear.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I would definitely talk to the director.  I would consider looking for a new daycare.

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom24munchkins:

My ring has done this too, and its done it to friends kids. But common sense would tell you to apologize to the child and parents. Even if it was an accident it was handled poorly by the daycare. But this was my first thought too

Quoting noahscott:

maybe she was wearing rings and accidently scratched him? i have accidently done that with my own kids. i would definitely question it though. it's tough having kids in day care. it makes me sick to think about someone hurting my kids. it's my biggest fear.

any time a child comes home with a bandaid he did not start the day with, SOMEONE needs to be notified.  No ifs, no ands, no buts...

HouseMa
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I'd be concerned about the red puppies he was able to hide under band-aids.

jlbelknap35
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It wouldn't be a big deal to me if it was reported cause accidents happen but with it not being reported I would take pics and tell the director, cause you never know.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I would take pictures and talk to the teacher... Not saying your kiddo is lying but ... Yesterday I got some really bad news and was crying on a friends shoulder and my 3 year old came over and asked what was wrong. I told him mommy was sad and he said oh did aunt t hit you? 

gr8d8n3mom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

What is with these day cares! Jeeze these are babies! I would take pics, report it to the director and if she doesn't do anything, report the daycare to the authorities!

My grand daughters were at a daycare, they failed to mention when a nasty stomach virus was going around,(that EVERYONE caught) they didn't call my DD or SIL when my 2 yr old GD fell and busted her chin open(not their call to make if they didn't think it was serious or not) SIL works less than 3 mins from the day care. My 3 yr old GD fell and busted both her knees open, again no phone calls, and they never said a word when they picked her up! (they chin was obvious!) The straw that broke the camels back was when GD that is 3 told my dd's step mom that when the 2 yr old was crying they spanked her!WTH?

illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you never put a bandaid on a child because bandaids are a magical cure-all? My neighbor has a 6 year old and she still gives her a bandaid to shut her up when there is nothing wrong and not a scratch on her, but psycologically she feels she needs a bandaid because she got the world's most minor scratch

Do you really WANT the daycare providers sending home 10 incident reports a day over every HALF INCH scratch? A half inch is so small, the skin didn't break, so the daycare lady probably threw a bandaid on it because shes not allowed to hug the child to make it better so she did the next best thing - give a bandaid because its a comfort item.

The replies here make it look like people are misreading "half inch scratch" as "3 foot bloody open wound with exposed bone".

Quoting DarlaHood:

It's strange that she didn't say anything because with my kids and granddaughter, they fill out a little report if they even skinned their knee!  And if they bumped their head, they called and said, "We just wanted to let you know she bumped her head, but she's o.k.  Do you want to talk to her?"  I would go straight to the director, and let her investigate what happened.  If the woman did accidentally scratch with a ring or something, and it was bad enough for band-aids, then she should have explained when you picked him up, or at least sent a note.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Take pictures, bring them to the director. Tell the director what happened. Ask for a meeting with the three of you. I would want to hear the teacher's side of the story but I just can't imagine anything that would justify this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN