Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does it mean when you hear a POP sound? *warning PIC* *11/17 UPDATE*

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM
  • 141 Replies

Sunday afternoon, we were outside playing kickball with the neighbors. Well, not playing, more like fooling around, lol :) 

Anyways, I kick the ball and start running, As I'm running to second base, my left foot goes into a hole and I hear a loud POP sound. I immediately fall to my knees. That night & all day Monday, the swelling was about 2x the size that my ankle would normally be. Tuesday, I was actually able to put sneakers on, but it still hurt like hell. Now, I don't have steady pain, but sometimes, out of no where, I'll get shooting pain in my ankle. I CAN stand on it, I can even out all my weight on it. I cannot rotate my foot or even turn it left or right. As long as it's straight and flat, it's not too much of a problem - except that "out of no where" shooting pain. I'm thinking it's just a sprain, but after googling, I realized that it could also be torn ligaments/tendons. Have any of you had this happen? How long does it take to heal? What can I do, at home, to speed up the process? TIA

I am trying to avoid going to the Dr. My daughters bday is a few weeks away, and we're trying to save the money for that.

This pic as taken last night @ 11:00pm-ish:

I wasn't able to go to the Dr. yesterday because I didn't have a sitter for my toddlers. The swelling and bruising has gone down ALOT, as you can tell. I'm still going to go though because right after I got out of bed this morning and started walking around, my ankle started throbbing!  It's hurt more today than it has over the past 2-3 days.  :(

SIDE PIC BELOW

11/17 UPDATE!

I was on my way to the Dr. yesterday afternoon. I was over halfway there. Then, I decided to ride by my moms house, just to see if she was home.

Backstory on my mom: She back into hard drugs again. She pretty much lives with her boyfriend (she is married though). She only comes home when she wants to. <I've wrote posts about all of this. So, I just wanted to see if she'd be there. Of course, she wasn't! But, my little brother was (he's 9). As soon as he saw my vehicle come down the road, he jumped up with a smile on his face. I know I needed to go to the Dr, but I couldn't. I couldn't just leave him there, all alone. He was so happy to see me. My mom is never home, she goes DAYS without seeing him. So, I stayed. We hung out for a few hours. He didn't want me to leave. It broke my heart. I promised him that I would be back in the next few days and I would bring him back home with me, if it's ok with my stepdad (his bio dad). He's out of school for the next week bc of Thanksgiving, which means, he's going to be sitting at that house all day, by hisself. :(

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemyirish
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Um its probably broke. Go to the doctor!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Go have it checked ASAP!! I did that tripping over my dog and severely sprained my ankle. It immediately swelled on one side and could not bear weight. I was in a boot and on crutches for 3weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemyirish
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Oh I didn't finish reading. I have done this a few times but it didn't swell that bad. Bruised and swelled. I could walk on it though. Could be a ripped or torn tendon or a hairline fracture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It could mean any one of several things.  You could have a bad sprain, you could have "popped" a tendon loose, you could have fractured it.  Rolling your ankle can cause various injuries.  You really should go to the doctor.  I know you want to save for DD's birthday.  But, this could be an injury that if ingored now, could cause you great trouble in your future.  Trust me, this comes from an ex-gymnast and dancer.  =/

grey7399
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Ugh, woman I sympathize.  

If it were me, I would wrap it, heat it, and use crutches for the next couple of weeks.  See what happens.  If in 2 weeks or 1 its not better or if it gets worse, I would go see the doc.  I usually won't go unless I'm in agonizing or unrelenting pain.

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I would go to my doctor!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Geeze, go to the doctor!

BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Quoting lovemyirish:

Um its probably broke. Go to the doctor!

I am able to walk on it though, can even put all my weight on that one foot.

CanInTex
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Sorry, you need to go and see a doctor. Do NOT put any pressure on it in the meantime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I'd say that's either broken or a very bad sprain you should def. seek medical attention on it,the longer you wait the more damage your doing!

good luck :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN