Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone know how to take care of a saddle?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have a saddle that was my mother's before she passed away and I'd like to keep it nice but I'm not sure what I need to be doing with it. Right now it's just sitting on a saw horse in the basement and isn't being used. Do I need to be putting anything on the leather?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
unspecified42
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Head to the local feed or tack shop and get Horseman's Onestep, a saddle cover, and leather conditioner. If you aren't using the saddle, you probably don't need to clean it often, but I would give it a good once over, condition it heavily to keep the leather from drying, and cover it. When it looks a little dry, repeat as necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

what the above person said.  Talk to the people at the feed shop about how to properly keep it stored.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info!

Quoting unspecified42:

Head to the local feed or tack shop and get Horseman's Onestep, a saddle cover, and leather conditioner. If you aren't using the saddle, you probably don't need to clean it often, but I would give it a good once over, condition it heavily to keep the leather from drying, and cover it. When it looks a little dry, repeat as necessary.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Thank you!

Quoting frndlyfn:

what the above person said.  Talk to the people at the feed shop about how to properly keep it stored.

proudGBmama
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this
What they said and make sure to keep it loose as in move it around or the leather gets stiff and brittle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SOCO101
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this

What they said, but don't over-clean it either. Prolong exposure to moisture(sp?) isn't good for leather in general, but keeping a saddle in good condition doesn't require a whole lot of attention when it's not being used. 

CafeMom Tickers
trainlady
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Go to the nearest Farm and Fleet store and get a product called Saddle Soap. Read the directions and use it. After that cover the saddle to keep dust and other things from pitting it or any of the hard ware. If you are not going to use it maybe you would want to donate it to a local group that has a riding program for mentally challenged children. Almost every state has one somewhere, check with the local children's services and see if they have a number for them. Or just sell it. Its a shame to leave it to just sit around for years and years. Someone should get some use out of it. Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)