Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nintendo 3DS

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am considering getting my daughter a DS. She's 5 [and very responsible]. I was thinking a reg DS [I don't like the idea of her using the 3D] but I found she can stream netflix on the 3DS....and she likes her netflix...I was messing with it in the store and know I can use the slider to turn down to 2D and just watch her as she uses it to ensure she's not changing it to 3D [of course mommy can use 3D when she goes to bed ;)] But upon taking pictures they always showed on the screen as 3d [even with the slider down to 2D]. Is there a way to change the settings to ONLY show and take pictures in 2D? I'm a picture person, therefore she is as well and that is one big feature she NEEDS. Any input or advise is greatly appreciated. I have no clue the other differences between the features and what ds, dsi, 3ds, lite all differ....so if anyone has a handy link comparing all of them that would be lovely!

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xLilBit22
by La Melodia on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM
I have one and LOVE IT!! U should def get it(: lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LanasMommy0504
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM
I upgraded to the 3DS XL and gave my 3DS to my DD. She's 6 1/2. We allow her to use the 3D but she often chooses not to. If you take pictures with the front camera then they're only in 2D. The outer camera is always in 3D. It really is an amazing system. I'm sure your DD will love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LanasMommy0504
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
And you can go to the Nintendo website to compare all the different systems side by side. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Out of curiousity, whats wrong with the 3D settung?
veganistic
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM
It's really bad for their developing eyes and is not intended for people under 7.

Quoting Schauseil:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM
good to know!

Quoting veganistic:

It's really bad for their developing eyes and is not intended for people under 7.

Quoting Schauseil:

Flyterbut
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

What she said. It actually gives me a headache sometimes so I'd imagine it's no good for little ones. BAH, I'm leaning away from 3DS xl now but reg DS doesn't stream netflix....grrrr.....

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old is getting a 3DS.  I got one last year, and she has been using my ds lite since then.   The 3DS, also, has parental controls so you can lock the 3D function if necessary.  I would say get the 3DS because it is backwards compatible with all the DS games; however, a DS will not play the 3DS games.  Getting a 3DS ensures that you have a wider selection of games.

07lilmama1108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I got my 4 yo dd a 3ds for christmas last year. You can turn 3d off under parental controls. We got dd a few easy games (princess, dora, hello kitty and friends) and she loves it! Stay awat from hello kitty and the big city, it has a lot of reading and gets frustrating. She's played it everyday, in the car and everything, we don't have a protection case on it and have lost one stylus. They also have games for reading and writing. Seemed more practical than getting a vtech anything. Oh, and the pictures get to be a lot of fun lol
Flyterbut
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

If you lock the 3d settings and take pictures with the camera on the back do they show as 2d or 3d?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)