Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ear tubes? My son has drainage

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 27 Replies
My son has had ear tubes for a little over a year. This morning as I was dropping him off I noticed a crust in his ear and I thought it was either breakfast or shampoo buildup, so I left him with the sitter and went on with my day. Tonight in the shower I cleaned his ear and noticed some pale white pus-like stuff.

Is drainage normal after the tubes fall out? I have no idea if they have or haven't but I've known for a while to expect them to fall out soon. We don't have a PCP right now but if it continues I'll bring him in. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM
The drainage ds has is always brown like it should be. He should probably get seen by an ent...pus is never good
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM

If fluid is coming out, then it isnt staying in to cause an infection! LOL Is little man complaining his ear hurts? Does the drainage smell?(yea, gross I know but important) Is it red, itchy or anything else out of normal besides drainage?

epoh
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM
The crust was brown. The other stuff that was more liquidy was pale white.

Quoting shadow_lark:

The drainage ds has is always brown like it should be. He should probably get seen by an ent...pus is never good
epoh
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM
No complaints. He never complained about us chronic infections either though. No itchiness or redness that I can see. I have no idea if it smells because I cleaned it in the shower.

Quoting momdoes:

If fluid is coming out, then it isnt staying in to cause an infection! LOL Is little man complaining his ear hurts? Does the drainage smell?(yea, gross I know but important) Is it red, itchy or anything else out of normal besides drainage?

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hum. I would keep an eye on it. It could be where the tubes did fall out and the fluid that was behind them is coming out too. But it could be the start of an infection. If it keeps draining a few more days, I would call and get him seen somewhere.

Quoting epoh:

No complaints. He never complained about us chronic infections either though. No itchiness or redness that I can see. I have no idea if it smells because I cleaned it in the shower.

Quoting momdoes:

CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
My 3yr old has chronic infections and chronic drainage. It's a good thing that stuff is coming out and not staying in but make an appt with your dr. If its clear, call dr ASAP. If its light colored like pus or it smells, its infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
That was pretty much my plan. I just wasn't sure if it was normal. Thanks.

Quoting momdoes:

Hum. I would keep an eye on it. It could be where the tubes did fall out and the fluid that was behind them is coming out too. But it could be the start of an infection. If it keeps draining a few more days, I would call and get him seen somewhere.

Quoting epoh:

Quoting momdoes:

epoh
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM
What does clear mean?

Quoting CJsMommy622:

My 3yr old has chronic infections and chronic drainage. It's a good thing that stuff is coming out and not staying in but make an appt with your dr. If its clear, call dr ASAP. If its light colored like pus or it smells, its infected.
CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Also, use ear drops if he still has tubes and you see drainage. In most cases, it should help to clear up drainage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Clear like water

Quoting epoh:

What does clear mean?

Quoting CJsMommy622:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)