Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any gastric bypass patients in here? PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
If so, please message me! I have some questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thank you.

I had a friend who had it a few months before I did and she barely lost anything, but she was also having problems, was sick a lot and she couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turns out that gauze was left inside of her, so she had to have surgery again to remove it. She's doing fine now, but I don't see her enough to know how well her weight loss is going. She had the same doctor that I did so I guess it's lucky that it didn't happen to me instead (not that it's good that it happened to her obviously!).

Anyway, good luck to your MIL, I hope it goes well.

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

Congrats!

The people I'm referring to seem to have serious health issues, knee problems, back problems etc from being overweight for so long and then I know several people that have had it for around 9-10 years now that are having serious health problems with their stomachs and digestive systems. 

My MIL is going to have the bypass soon, she needs it but I'm still worried about her because I don't know if she will be able to follow the regime. 

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I know several people that have had the bypass and it seems like they fall apart afterwards

I've known a few like that myself, but 3 1/2 years later, I would still count myself as a success story. I did gain about 25 lbs back last year because I got careless so I joined Weight Watchers to help me stay focused. I met my goal about 2 months ago and received my Lifetime membership this week.

The thing about both is that they are a lifestyle change and if you're (general you) are not willing to make the commitment and follow through, it's pretty pointless.

nicolemom3
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Me. I had GBS in July 2007.

imuney
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My bestfriend had it a year ago and has lost over 100 lb. She has had to have her gallbladder removed since then too but I know she has no regrets and is in the best shape of her life. She does experience dumping syndrome when she eats certain things though.

mjclegg26
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I had gastric bypass in 2006, I have lost and kept off over 190lbs.  If you have questions regarding gb I will be happy to answer what I can :)

countrymomma81
by Belle*of*the*Bayou on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I was about a month away from going through with the gastric sleeve but I changed my mind. 

carolyntx
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM
That's amazing! This may sound insane but I'm very interested in going gb but afraid ill end up with tons of sagging skin :( did you?

Quoting mjclegg26:

I had gastric bypass in 2006, I have lost and kept off over 190lbs.  If you have questions regarding gb I will be happy to answer what I can :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I know 2 teachers that got it and one of them is pretty close to me.  The other went to rehab 2 years later because she traded a food addiction for an alcohol one.  The one I am close to said that is common if they havent had good pre care. 

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Quoting carolyntx:

That's amazing! This may sound insane but I'm very interested in going gb but afraid ill end up with tons of sagging skin :( did you?

Quoting mjclegg26:

most insurance (including MA) pay to have the skin done. 

mjclegg26
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I do have some...not lots.  I did have a breast lift and augmentation and an arm lift in 2009 though (insurance did not pay for any "plastics").  I do plan on a tummy tuck after baby is born in 2013. So I will see how that goes. Good luck! 

Mena929
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My sister had it done almost 10 years ago. She has gone through SO much because of it. She has had to have parts of her small (or large - can't remember) intestines removed because the intestine wall was "dying". It was basically folding into itself. One of the times this happened she was 5 months preggo and had to have surgery to remove the intestine. She has had kidney stone issues as well. She is now getting ready to have a tummy tuck since she has so much skin hanging from all the weight she lost. She also has already had a breast lift, again due to the major sagging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)