Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

1 year old not sleeping at all. I need advice please.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
I hope you all can help me with my niece situation. She just turn 1 last month and lately doest sleep. Now don't think she sleeps and wakes up one hour later,it's more like waking up every 15 mins and being awake from 4am until 10 pm .Her mom is getting frustrated and is starting to get sick from no sleep. My brother has to drive to work and we are worried that he could have a accident because he doesn't sleep. We have tried everything and nothing works. She takes 5-10 min naps some days but most of the time is no naps at all. Her mom tells me she wakes up like scared and at times wakes up crying as well. We will try anything at this point because my niece is getting even violent with people or herself from no sleep. They did a MRI for something else and came out fine. Thanks in advance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
grayhairgranny
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a grandmother to 5 and one of them had problems similar to this - to the point that he was classified as "failure to thrive"  This is what worked for him.

1.  Eliminate all red food dyes from her diet... They contribute greatly to hyperactivity and sleeping terrors

2.  Eliminate milk....some children have problems digesting it and it very hard to find out if this is a problem without completly eliminating it.  And look at her diet, has it changed in anyway?  Has something new been added?

3.  Make sure everything is done on a strict schedule.Some kids need this and if they're thrown off schedule it can effect them for months.

4.  Make sure MOM and DAD are getting enough rest, even if you have to go over and sit for them so they can sleep.  Even 1 yr olds can feel tension and frustration in their parents.

Hope this helps...Make sure mom and dad know that someday "this to shall end"

kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM
She hardly eats as well,and most of the food she eats is homemade. No processed food at all but all she drinks is milk and we can't take it away or she will starve lol.The only thing I forgot to mention is she wad tested for TB and it came out positive,so now she is taking meds for 9 months. But her pedi says its not the meds

Quoting grayhairgranny:

I am a grandmother to 5 and one of them had problems similar to this - to the point that he was classified as "failure to thrive"  This is what worked for him.

1.  Eliminate all red food dyes from her diet... They contribute greatly to hyperactivity and sleeping terrors

2.  Eliminate milk....some children have problems digesting it and it very hard to find out if this is a problem without completly eliminating it.  And look at her diet, has it changed in anyway?  Has something new been added?

3.  Make sure everything is done on a strict schedule.Some kids need this and if they're thrown off schedule it can effect them for months.

4.  Make sure MOM and DAD are getting enough rest, even if you have to go over and sit for them so they can sleep.  Even 1 yr olds can feel tension and frustration in their parents.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

too much milk can cause anemia since it blocks absorbtion (sp) of iron.   Try getting her to drink more water and juices.  They can make their own juice by throwing fruits into a blender and straining it.   It sounds like my dd when she is hungry and tired.  Nothing will work.  

grayhairgranny
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do some research on those meds.  Some TB meds have side effects of joint pain, stomach problems, nausea, etc.  Do some independant research.  If you can get your hands on a PDR, that would be best... most drugs are listed on the internet also.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

She hardly eats as well,and most of the food she eats is homemade. No processed food at all but all she drinks is milk and we can't take it away or she will starve lol.The only thing I forgot to mention is she wad tested for TB and it came out positive,so now she is taking meds for 9 months. But her pedi says its not the meds

Quoting grayhairgranny:

stickyfingers
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
aw that sound aweful! poor kid, poor mom and dad...maybe they can ask the pedi if its ok to use melatonin to help her get on a schedule?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM
i agree with this, dont just take the dr word for it. you need to keep yourself informed. and follow your gut...or the moms gut. lol

Quoting grayhairgranny:

I would do some research on those meds.  Some TB meds have side effects of joint pain, stomach problems, nausea, etc.  Do some independant research.  If you can get your hands on a PDR, that would be best... most drugs are listed on the internet also.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting grayhairgranny:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)