Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you got a letter requesting that your child be screened for a learning disability?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM
  • 69 Replies

If you got a letter requesting that your child be screened for a learning disability, but you felt that they didn't have one, would you consent? What steps would you take before consenting if any?

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I would consent because I have one and it went undiagnosed until I was 17
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Wow, well, it would depend on what type of disability it was.

I would request to have people I had picked out to screen my child, and I would have my child's doctors involved in this decision.

sarah824
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM
6 moms liked this

I cannot imagine NOT consenting. I am not an expert on spotting learning disabilities and what would be the harm in the child taking the test?

Teacher101
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Quoting Kitschy:

I understand this is personal so you don't have to answer, but I am wondering was that because your parent didn't consent to testing or because the school and your parent never thought it was necessary?

mrskgill06
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM
i would consent.. I have consented.. I want my kids to get the best education possible & not be behind because I don't want my kids to be labeled with a learning disability.. (if that makes sense.. Lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM
From whom? School?

My now 4yo was being urged to see a speech therapist by our prek.

I pushed it back for a long time then let them see her. She's fine, as I thought.

Early detection is good, you can always ask why they're concerned. B
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM
No one noticed. People thought I was "lazy " I seemed bright and articulate so no one picked up on my severe dyslexia.

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting Kitschy:

I understand this is personal so you don't have to answer, but I am wondering was that because your parent didn't consent to testing or because the school and your parent never thought it was necessary?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I have consented to all screenings the school has done other than dental since we have a dentist for her already and due to bad experience with other forced dental screenings we say no to them.

Teacher101
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sarah824:

I cannot imagine NOT consenting. I am not an expert on spotting learning disabilities and what would be the harm in the child taking the test?

Many parents shy away because they don't want their child mislabeled for fear that their child will be placed into Special Education.

Or they simply don't want to believe their kid needs services.

Or they think that the school is at fault for the child being behind. 

TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would want to speak with the teacher about why they felt it was a good idea - teachers see our kids in a different setting and can spot red flags that parents don't always recognize, so I would most likely go ahead with the screening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN